Mar 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Jack Curran, the New York State’s all-time winningest high school coach and a legend in both basketball and baseball at Archbishop Molloy High School, passed away on Thursday morning.
A lot of talent passed through Molloy during Curran’s 55 years at the program, including such notable names as Kenny Smith, Kenny Anderson and Jim Larranaga.
Louisville’s all-american guard Russ Smith also played at Molloy, and on Thursday night, he had to take the court in his final Big East tournament with a heavy heart. To get an idea of just how much Curran meant to Smith, take a look at his facebook status from Thursday morning:
Smith wasn’t a highly-regarded recruit coming out of high school. In fact, when Rick Pitino began recruiting Smith during his prep season at South Kent, a lot of people thought he was crazy. But Smith wound up at Louisville, and has made his way from bench-warmer to sparkplug to an all-american as a junior.
On Thursday, it all came together as Smith put on one helluva show to honor his old high school coach.
Smith went off for 28 points, hitting 7-12 from the floor and 4-6 from deep while playing catalyst to a nightmarish press that had Villanova paralyzed. The Wildcats finished with 24 turnovers, and while Smith only had two steals, his on-ball defense contributed to at least a third of them.
More importantly, Louisville advanced to the semifinals of the Big East tournament with the 74-55 win, where they will play either Marquette or Notre Dame in tomorrow’s nightcap. The win also gets Louisville one step closer to that elusive No. 1 seed; it may require a Big East tournament title to land it.
And it was Smith that led the way, heavy heart and all.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)