Mar 15, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
NEW YORK – Charlotte sophomore guard Pierria Henry was taken to a nearby hospital following the 49er’s 72-55 loss to Saint Louis in the Atlantic-10 quarterfinals at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.
Late in the contest Henry collided with Billiken’s guard Jordair Jett, resulting in an inadvertent elbow to the throat. Henry stayed on the floor for several minutes as it appeared that he was having difficulty breathing.
After he finally made his way to the bench, he was surrounded by his teammates who showed their support, before being taken to the locker room.
“I haven’t heard anything yet,” Charlotte coach Alan Major said after the game. “I’m very, very concerned to be quite honest. When a guy has a tough time breathing I’m not quite sure what that means but we’re trying to organize the team to go to the hospital where he is. The whole team said in the locker room they want to be with him. Hopefully he’s okay. Once (the postgame press conference) is wrapped up we’ll go find out.”
Henry finished the game with seven points, seven rebounds and five assists in the loss.
On Thursday afternoon against Richmond Henry made eight foul shots in the final 4.7 seconds to propel the 49ers past the Spiders in the most bizarre finish of the day.
UPDATE: Henry has a bruised trachea:
Update on Charlotte’s Pierria Henry: Bruised trachea, but he’s back at the hotel and okay.
— Ryan Fagan (@ryan_fagan) March 15, 2013
You can contact Troy Machir on Twitter at @TroyMachir
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)