Mar 15, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
NEW YORK – Charlotte sophomore guard Pierria Henry was taken to a nearby hospital following the 49er’s 72-55 loss to Saint Louis in the Atlantic-10 quarterfinals at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.
Late in the contest Henry collided with Billiken’s guard Jordair Jett, resulting in an inadvertent elbow to the throat. Henry stayed on the floor for several minutes as it appeared that he was having difficulty breathing.
After he finally made his way to the bench, he was surrounded by his teammates who showed their support, before being taken to the locker room.
“I haven’t heard anything yet,” Charlotte coach Alan Major said after the game. “I’m very, very concerned to be quite honest. When a guy has a tough time breathing I’m not quite sure what that means but we’re trying to organize the team to go to the hospital where he is. The whole team said in the locker room they want to be with him. Hopefully he’s okay. Once (the postgame press conference) is wrapped up we’ll go find out.”
Henry finished the game with seven points, seven rebounds and five assists in the loss.
On Thursday afternoon against Richmond Henry made eight foul shots in the final 4.7 seconds to propel the 49ers past the Spiders in the most bizarre finish of the day.
UPDATE: Henry has a bruised trachea:
Update on Charlotte’s Pierria Henry: Bruised trachea, but he’s back at the hotel and okay.
— Ryan Fagan (@ryan_fagan) March 15, 2013
You can contact Troy Machir on Twitter at @TroyMachir
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)