Mar 15, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
NEW YORK – Charlotte sophomore guard Pierria Henry was taken to a nearby hospital following the 49er’s 72-55 loss to Saint Louis in the Atlantic-10 quarterfinals at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.
Late in the contest Henry collided with Billiken’s guard Jordair Jett, resulting in an inadvertent elbow to the throat. Henry stayed on the floor for several minutes as it appeared that he was having difficulty breathing.
After he finally made his way to the bench, he was surrounded by his teammates who showed their support, before being taken to the locker room.
“I haven’t heard anything yet,” Charlotte coach Alan Major said after the game. “I’m very, very concerned to be quite honest. When a guy has a tough time breathing I’m not quite sure what that means but we’re trying to organize the team to go to the hospital where he is. The whole team said in the locker room they want to be with him. Hopefully he’s okay. Once (the postgame press conference) is wrapped up we’ll go find out.”
Henry finished the game with seven points, seven rebounds and five assists in the loss.
On Thursday afternoon against Richmond Henry made eight foul shots in the final 4.7 seconds to propel the 49ers past the Spiders in the most bizarre finish of the day.
UPDATE: Henry has a bruised trachea:
Update on Charlotte’s Pierria Henry: Bruised trachea, but he’s back at the hotel and okay.
— Ryan Fagan (@ryan_fagan) March 15, 2013
You can contact Troy Machir on Twitter at @TroyMachir
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 0
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)