Mar 15, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
NEW YORK – Charlotte sophomore guard Pierria Henry was taken to a nearby hospital following the 49er’s 72-55 loss to Saint Louis in the Atlantic-10 quarterfinals at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.
Late in the contest Henry collided with Billiken’s guard Jordair Jett, resulting in an inadvertent elbow to the throat. Henry stayed on the floor for several minutes as it appeared that he was having difficulty breathing.
After he finally made his way to the bench, he was surrounded by his teammates who showed their support, before being taken to the locker room.
“I haven’t heard anything yet,” Charlotte coach Alan Major said after the game. “I’m very, very concerned to be quite honest. When a guy has a tough time breathing I’m not quite sure what that means but we’re trying to organize the team to go to the hospital where he is. The whole team said in the locker room they want to be with him. Hopefully he’s okay. Once (the postgame press conference) is wrapped up we’ll go find out.”
Henry finished the game with seven points, seven rebounds and five assists in the loss.
On Thursday afternoon against Richmond Henry made eight foul shots in the final 4.7 seconds to propel the 49ers past the Spiders in the most bizarre finish of the day.
UPDATE: Henry has a bruised trachea:
Update on Charlotte’s Pierria Henry: Bruised trachea, but he’s back at the hotel and okay.
— Ryan Fagan (@ryan_fagan) March 15, 2013
You can contact Troy Machir on Twitter at @TroyMachir
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 3
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)