Mar 15, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
The third time was not the charm for Arizona. After dropping the first two meets with UCLA, a Kyle Anderson offensive rebound and putback with 24 seconds remaining gave the Bruins a 66-64 win, their third victory in as many tries against the Wildcats while advancing to Pac-12 Tournament championship game.
However, Anderson’s bucket wasn’t the most important play of the game. Jordan Adams, who scored a game-high 24 points picked Mark Lyons with UCLA leading 62-61 with 1:19 remaining. Adams looked to get a transition bucket but Arizona 7-footer Kaleb Tarczewski wrapped up the fellow freshman, keeping Adams from scoring, but taking his fifth foul in the process.
Adams would connect on both free throws, giving the Bruins a 64-61 advantage. Arizona’s other freshman big, Grant Jerrett also made a key play down the stretch, tying the game with a 3-pointer. Adams tried to respond, but missed, Kyle Anderson — another freshman — was able to bully his way past his defender and collect the rebound for the offensive rebound and game-winning score.
Solomon Hill’s three was off the mark as UCLA hung on.
Arizona won the rebound war, grabbing 35 to UCLA’s 28. However, Tarczewski had over a third of the team’s rebounding with 13 boards (four of nine offensive). Take away his production on the glass and the Bruins had a six-point edge in the rebounding department. Without Tarczewski on the floor, it left a whole in the middle, one Anderson took advantage of.
The third act of this Arizona-UCLA series featured many big-time plays from freshmen on both sides, however, a foul from the 7-foot freshman looks to be the most critical of them all.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Big Ten regular season champion has lost two underclassmen to the NBA draft with the possibility of a third departure as well.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee was a marriage that needed to end. On Tuesday, it did.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Cal dipped into SEC territory to land their new head coach.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Miami investigation keeps getting more embarrassing for the NCAA.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
The future Kentucky Wildcat had an impressive showing at the Hoop Summit last weekend.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Gonzaga is close to landing the son of another legend of the 80s
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
He lies to the NBA?
Apr 14, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Syracuse landed another 2015 pledge on Monday evening when guard Franklin Howard committed to the Orange.
Apr 14, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Duke freshman forward Jabari Parker will decide on his future this week.
Apr 14, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Washington point guard Nigel Williams-Goss will return for his sophomore season.
Apr 14, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
Cornell transfer Nolan Cressler has committed to Vanderbilt.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)