Mar 15, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT
The Kansas Jayhawks have won at least a share of the last nine Big 12 regular season titles, with Bill Self’s program navigating roster turnover on an annual basis.
And the fact that Self has been so successful is something that has stumped Bill James, who is famous for his ability to figure out the answer to many questions (especially those involving baseball).
“I watch every Kansas basketball game,” he says. “And every year, it’s the same thing. They will be on the road, losing by three or four late in the game, this happens often. You would expect them to lose those games sometimes. But they almost never do. They almost always make a few big plays down the stretch and win the toughest games, even when they’re playing poorly.”
Bill James looks down and shakes his head, as if he’s trying once again to figure out the puzzle. “How does Bill Self do it?’” he asks. “I cannot for the life of me come up with the answer.”
Kansas takes on Iowa State in the Big 12 tournament semifinals on Friday night, and given how tight the two regular season meetings were (both went to overtime) look for another thriller in Kansas City.
Can Kansas grab a 1-seed in the NCAA tournament with a Big 12 tournament title? There are many moving parts around the country to be considered but the possibility is definitely on the table. But regardless of their seed, with players such as freshman wing Ben McLemore and senior center Jeff Withey the Jayhawks have the talent needed to win a national title.
To read more about Self and the Jayhawks, click here.
Joe Posnanski also touched on the experiences of Kansas freshman walk-on Tyler Self, the son of the head coach.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)