Mar 15, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
On Thursday morning, Pete Thamel dedicated an entire column to the idea that the ACC needs to move their tournament to New York if they want to have a real chance at keeping their league together.
And if they don’t keep the conference together, moving the tournament to New York will be ideal if those schools on Tobacco Road ever do end up making their way to the Big Ten or the SEC or whatever league has the best television deal.
On Friday morning, WNCN, a television station in Raleigh, reported that the ACC was considering the move, although neither the Barclays Center nor Madison Square Garden had made a bid on the tournament.
Tournament locales through 2021 will be determined sometime this spring, and from the sound of things, NYC will be heavily considered:
But the ACC has an interest in New York, especially now that Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame – which has a strong Northeast following – are joining the league.
Madison Square Garden has been the longtime host of the Big East Conference tournament, but the final Big East tournament is this weekend. That raises the question of whether the ACC is looking to reach a deal with Madison Square Garden, even though the deadline has passed.
“It’s a fluid situation,” [Karl] Hicks said.
Asked directly if Madison Square Garden would bid, Hicks said “I can’t comment on that.”
But, Hicks hinted, there were other places in the New York market the ACC could consider.
“We’ve got some options,” he said. Hicks declined to identify any of those potential venues.
I gotta say, having the ACC and the new Big East in New York at the same time would be pretty awesome.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)