Mar 15, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
One of the worst kept secrets is expected to be made official sometime next week.
The Catholic 7, soon-to-be new Big East Conference, will officially add Butler, Xavier and Creighton to form a 10-team league ready for play at the start of the 2013-2014 season, according to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune.
Xavier and Butler left Atlantic 10 meetings in New York on Friday, according to Sports Illustrated. The thought was that league might vote on increasing exit fees Friday, and if Xavier and Butler announced their imminent withdrawal, they would have lost voting rights and therefore would have had to exit the meeting.
For months now all three of theses schools have been viable candidates to join the Catholic 7 to form a new league. Hamilton also reports that nothing is truly official yet and delays could occur, though, the Big East is expecting make this announcement on Wednesday or Thursday, before the NCAA tournament begins.
Creighton will be added, according to the Tribune, “barring unexpected complications.” The Missouri Valley Conference has anticipated the departure of one of its most successful programs, having already talked about filling the Bluejays spot in the conference.
Hamilton went on to report that the new conference is now in search of a commissioner and with the help of a search firm, hope to hire the inaugural commissioner within 6-10 weeks.
For months its been reported that teams like Butler, Xavier and Creighton would join the seven Catholic defectors, but sometime this week that announcement looks to be official.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (6)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)