Mar 15, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
One of the worst kept secrets is expected to be made official sometime next week.
The Catholic 7, soon-to-be new Big East Conference, will officially add Butler, Xavier and Creighton to form a 10-team league ready for play at the start of the 2013-2014 season, according to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune.
Xavier and Butler left Atlantic 10 meetings in New York on Friday, according to Sports Illustrated. The thought was that league might vote on increasing exit fees Friday, and if Xavier and Butler announced their imminent withdrawal, they would have lost voting rights and therefore would have had to exit the meeting.
For months now all three of theses schools have been viable candidates to join the Catholic 7 to form a new league. Hamilton also reports that nothing is truly official yet and delays could occur, though, the Big East is expecting make this announcement on Wednesday or Thursday, before the NCAA tournament begins.
Creighton will be added, according to the Tribune, “barring unexpected complications.” The Missouri Valley Conference has anticipated the departure of one of its most successful programs, having already talked about filling the Bluejays spot in the conference.
Hamilton went on to report that the new conference is now in search of a commissioner and with the help of a search firm, hope to hire the inaugural commissioner within 6-10 weeks.
For months its been reported that teams like Butler, Xavier and Creighton would join the seven Catholic defectors, but sometime this week that announcement looks to be official.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)