Mar 15, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
One of the worst kept secrets is expected to be made official sometime next week.
The Catholic 7, soon-to-be new Big East Conference, will officially add Butler, Xavier and Creighton to form a 10-team league ready for play at the start of the 2013-2014 season, according to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune.
Xavier and Butler left Atlantic 10 meetings in New York on Friday, according to Sports Illustrated. The thought was that league might vote on increasing exit fees Friday, and if Xavier and Butler announced their imminent withdrawal, they would have lost voting rights and therefore would have had to exit the meeting.
For months now all three of theses schools have been viable candidates to join the Catholic 7 to form a new league. Hamilton also reports that nothing is truly official yet and delays could occur, though, the Big East is expecting make this announcement on Wednesday or Thursday, before the NCAA tournament begins.
Creighton will be added, according to the Tribune, “barring unexpected complications.” The Missouri Valley Conference has anticipated the departure of one of its most successful programs, having already talked about filling the Bluejays spot in the conference.
Hamilton went on to report that the new conference is now in search of a commissioner and with the help of a search firm, hope to hire the inaugural commissioner within 6-10 weeks.
For months its been reported that teams like Butler, Xavier and Creighton would join the seven Catholic defectors, but sometime this week that announcement looks to be official.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:58 PM EST
This came close to being really, really bad.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
Dwayne Polee II had to sit out Saturday’s loss to Boise State as a result of an abnormal reading generated by his cardiac monitor.
Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State?
Feb 28, 2015, 9:27 PM EST
All the bubble winners and losers from Saturday’s college hoops action.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:42 PM EST
With the loss Texas drops to 1-11 in games against teams in the RPI Top 50.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
No. 1 Kentucky moved to 29-0, and No. 6 Villanova came back to win at Xavier.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:03 PM EST
The Cyclones lost at home against Baylor and then lost at Kansas State.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
Kentucky has now won 46 SEC titles, and this group looks poised to add more hardware to the trophy case before the season concludes.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Having just seven scholarship players hasn’t kept the Flyers from playing a major role in the Atlantic 10 race.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
The Shockers are once again champions of the Valley.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Kansas will be without Cliff Alexander against Texas on Saturday.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:55 PM EST
Jake Layman didn’t want to get dunked on.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
Robbie Berwick is not going to like seeing this highlight.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Auburn will be without second-leading scorer Antoine Mason as he deals with the death of his father.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Marist’s Khallid Hart made the game-winning layup with 1.5 seconds left for the win.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A huge Saturday with 150 games and a lot of bubble action.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Here’s the rundown from Friday night.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
An off-campus altercation back in 2010 led to a year-long suspension for the Villanova forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Jim Boeheim goes back almost nine years to describe Rakeem Christmas’ importance to this year’s team.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The starting guard has missed the last 11 games.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
This isn’t the first time he’s done this in a game.
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)