Mar 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
According to a report from Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports, the SEC is getting set to announce the launch of a TV network in a similar vein to that of the Big Ten Network.
49% of BTN is owned by the conference, while 51% of it is owned by Fox. The SEC is expected to partner up with ESPN.
“Our focus for now is on our tournament and the NCAA tournament,” Slive told Forde. “We will make a formal announcement about the SEC Network in mid-April.”
The SEC already makes gobs of money off of their football product. This deal would make them even more profitable; just look at how much money Big Ten schools make off of BTN, and then think about how many more eyeballs will be drawn to SEC football games.
And you think realignment is dead? Ha! Look at this juicy nugget from Pete Thamel yesterday:
All five major conference commissioners privately acknowledge that realignment isn’t done. And the next logical evolution will inevitably be a poaching of the ACC.
When will this happen? That’s the biggest question among athletic directors and TV executives right now. No one knows the answer. But this much is certain — there’s nothing that’s happened in the last three years that suggests that realignment will just stop.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)