Mar 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
According to a report from Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports, the SEC is getting set to announce the launch of a TV network in a similar vein to that of the Big Ten Network.
49% of BTN is owned by the conference, while 51% of it is owned by Fox. The SEC is expected to partner up with ESPN.
“Our focus for now is on our tournament and the NCAA tournament,” Slive told Forde. “We will make a formal announcement about the SEC Network in mid-April.”
The SEC already makes gobs of money off of their football product. This deal would make them even more profitable; just look at how much money Big Ten schools make off of BTN, and then think about how many more eyeballs will be drawn to SEC football games.
And you think realignment is dead? Ha! Look at this juicy nugget from Pete Thamel yesterday:
All five major conference commissioners privately acknowledge that realignment isn’t done. And the next logical evolution will inevitably be a poaching of the ACC.
When will this happen? That’s the biggest question among athletic directors and TV executives right now. No one knows the answer. But this much is certain — there’s nothing that’s happened in the last three years that suggests that realignment will just stop.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)