Mar 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
According to a report from Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports, the SEC is getting set to announce the launch of a TV network in a similar vein to that of the Big Ten Network.
49% of BTN is owned by the conference, while 51% of it is owned by Fox. The SEC is expected to partner up with ESPN.
“Our focus for now is on our tournament and the NCAA tournament,” Slive told Forde. “We will make a formal announcement about the SEC Network in mid-April.”
The SEC already makes gobs of money off of their football product. This deal would make them even more profitable; just look at how much money Big Ten schools make off of BTN, and then think about how many more eyeballs will be drawn to SEC football games.
And you think realignment is dead? Ha! Look at this juicy nugget from Pete Thamel yesterday:
All five major conference commissioners privately acknowledge that realignment isn’t done. And the next logical evolution will inevitably be a poaching of the ACC.
When will this happen? That’s the biggest question among athletic directors and TV executives right now. No one knows the answer. But this much is certain — there’s nothing that’s happened in the last three years that suggests that realignment will just stop.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 9
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (9)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)