Mar 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
According to a report from Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports, the SEC is getting set to announce the launch of a TV network in a similar vein to that of the Big Ten Network.
49% of BTN is owned by the conference, while 51% of it is owned by Fox. The SEC is expected to partner up with ESPN.
“Our focus for now is on our tournament and the NCAA tournament,” Slive told Forde. “We will make a formal announcement about the SEC Network in mid-April.”
The SEC already makes gobs of money off of their football product. This deal would make them even more profitable; just look at how much money Big Ten schools make off of BTN, and then think about how many more eyeballs will be drawn to SEC football games.
And you think realignment is dead? Ha! Look at this juicy nugget from Pete Thamel yesterday:
All five major conference commissioners privately acknowledge that realignment isn’t done. And the next logical evolution will inevitably be a poaching of the ACC.
When will this happen? That’s the biggest question among athletic directors and TV executives right now. No one knows the answer. But this much is certain — there’s nothing that’s happened in the last three years that suggests that realignment will just stop.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 1
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)