Mar 15, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
If this is the way that the Big East tournament is going to go out, it sure is fitting: on a Friday night in the Garden, we not only get Part III of the Syracuse-Georgetown farewell tour, but we also get a rematch of the five-overtime thriller between Louisville and Notre Dame from earlier this year.
All of whom are playing for the right to have a shot at being crowned the last-ever Big East tournament champion.*
*(Don’t give me that ‘the Big East still exists‘ nonsense. It won’t be the same. You know it and I know it. It’s like The OC. The first two seasons were amazing, as good as TV gets. The third season was like a farewell tour, where the stars were ready to move on and the cast simply became too bloated. And after they killed off Marisa Cooper, the fourth season was still called The OC, but it just wasn’t The OC anymore. It’s a perfect metaphor for the Big East, and I’m shocked that I’ve never realized it before.)
This is what we all wanted, right?
Sure, it might be more fitting if it was UConn and Pitt playing in the second semifinal, but Rick Pitino is Big East royalty from his time at Providence to his success with Louisville in the league, and Mike Brey’s Notre Dame program has been one of the classiest in the conference since they came aboard.
It really is perfect, because there simply isn’t anything better than the Garden, on a Friday and Saturday night in March, packed to the gills with intoxicated fans — investment bankers and broke freshmen, alike — watching and rooting and enjoying the end of an era.
But they won’t be alone.
“I’m definitely going to watch Syracuse-Georgetown,” Notre Dame center Jack Cooley said. “I’m going to sit in the stands for that one and watch it. That game is going to be phenomenal. Our game is going to be phenomenal. ESPN is really lucking out having these two games set up like this.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)