Mar 16, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
This page will be updated throughout the day. Come back and feed your bubble fix.
SATURDAY’S BUBBLE WINNERS
All the teams that aren’t playing anymore: Southern Miss lost. That means that they aren’t going to be getting Conference USA’s automatic bid, Memphis will. Since Memphis was going to be in the tournament regardless of whether or not they won, the fact that Southern Miss lost means that there will be another bubble spot open.
Oh, and Alabama losing to Florida means that the Crimson Tide won’t be getting an at-large bid. So there’s another spot that stays open. Middle Tennessee State and St. Mary’s are happy.
Ole Miss: The Rebels beat Vanderbilt on Saturday afternoon, but if that going to be enough to get them into the tournament if they lose to Florida? They are the most intriguing team on the bubble, which we wrote about here.
SATURDAY’S BUBBLE LOSERS
Southern Miss: The Golden Eagles had a chance to clinch the automatic bid on Saturday afternoon, and they didn’t. Memphis knocked them off in the Conference USA title. The Golden Eagles have a decent RPI, but they don’t have enough quality wins to get them in.
Maryland: The Terps had to beat North Carolina on Saturday afternoon to have a real chance of passing the teams in front of them on the bubble and crawling their way onto the right side of the bubble. They lost 79-76 when Logan Aronhalt missed a long three on the final possession. The Terps look like they’re headed to the NIT.
UMass: The Minutemen entered Saturday as one of the first five teams out, according to Dave Ommen, and while losing to VCU certainly doesn’t hurt their profile, it doesn’t help it at all. Derek Kellogg’s club isn’t jumping the three or four teams currently in front of them by losing.
Alabama: The Crimson Tide gave Florida a fight on Saturday afternoon in the SEC semifinals, but a second half run by the Gators put Alabama away. With an RPI of 60 and no top 50 wins, it looks like a stretch that the Tide will have done enough to get themselves into the dance. They have eight wins over teams between 51-100 in the RPI, but losses to Dayton, Mercer, Tulane and Auburn are killers.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)