Mar 16, 2013, 3:00 AM EST
Keith Appling and Michigan State trailed Iowa 35-26 with 17 minutes to go when the Spartans junior point guard threw down Iowa’s Melsahn Basabe, who stands 6-foot-7, six inches taller than Appling.
The monster slam woke up Michigan State, who turned the nine-point deficit to a 59-56 win as the Spartans advanced to the Big Ten semifinals against Ohio State.
If that isn’t enough, Gus Johnson, who already had an epic call for Brandon Paul’s game winner, could only shout out, “What!” following the posterization.
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)