Mar 16, 2013, 5:21 PM EST
Maryland and Kentucky kicked off college basketball at the Barclays Center, opening up the season with a trip to Brooklyn that ended in a thrilling, 72-69 win for the Wildcats.
The exhibition was so successful that organizers made the decision to bring both schools back.
After the success of Maryland’s inaugural game in Brooklyn last November, the team announced it will return to Brooklyn this fall as part of the BROOKLYN HOOPS series at the Barclay’s Center.
The Brooklyn Hoops event will also feature Kentucky, though this time the Wildcats will face the Providence Friars. Maryland’s opponent is yet to be announced, but Kentucky’s game is scheduled for Dec. 1, 2013.
Providence may regret agreeing to that game when they see the recruiting class that John Calipari has coming in next season. I will say this much: the Barclays Center is a fun place to watch a basketball, especially when arena is packed.
And if Big Blue Nation is involved, you know it’s going to be packed.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)