Mar 16, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here
Conference: Mid-American Conference
Coach: Keith Dambrot
Rankings and Ratings:
– Kenpom: 60
– RPI: 49
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Southern as a No. 13 seed playing Syracuse in the second round in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Zeke Marshall (13.1 ppg, 7.0, 3.7 bpg), Demetrius Treadwell (11.3 ppg, 7.9 ppg)
Stats you need to know: 13. Akron has qualified for the NCAA tournament three times in the last five seasons. In 2009 and 2011, the Zips were topped in their first game by 13 points (Gonzaga in 2009, Notre Dame in 2011). Akron is 0-3 all time in the NCAA tourney.
How’d they get here?: The Zips, who won 19 straight at one point this season, got in with the automatic bid winning the MAC title in a win over Ohio on Saturday in Cleveland. Since its 19-game-winning streak was snapped, Akron was 2-2 entering Saturday’s game.
Outlook: Akron did look like a team capable of an upset, though, that all changed when point guard Alex Abreu was arrested and suspended indefinitely. Now without an experience floor general and the team’s top 3-point shooting threat, Akron’s chances in the tournament have been altered.
How do I know you?: The Zips now have to rely on the point guard play of freshman Carmelo Betancourt. In three games in an expanded role, Betancourt is averaging 3.6 points, 3.0 assists and 3.0 rebounds.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 3
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 5
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 60
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 14
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (63)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)