Mar 16, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here
Conference: Mid-American Conference
Coach: Keith Dambrot
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 60
– RPI: 49
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Southern as a No. 13 seed playing Syracuse in the second round in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Zeke Marshall (13.1 ppg, 7.0, 3.7 bpg), Demetrius Treadwell (11.3 ppg, 7.9 ppg)
Stats you need to know: 13. Akron has qualified for the NCAA tournament three times in the last five seasons. In 2009 and 2011, the Zips were topped in their first game by 13 points (Gonzaga in 2009, Notre Dame in 2011). Akron is 0-3 all time in the NCAA tourney.
How’d they get here?: The Zips, who won 19 straight at one point this season, got in with the automatic bid winning the MAC title in a win over Ohio on Saturday in Cleveland. Since its 19-game-winning streak was snapped, Akron was 2-2 entering Saturday’s game.
Outlook: Akron did look like a team capable of an upset, though, that all changed when point guard Alex Abreu was arrested and suspended indefinitely. Now without an experience floor general and the team’s top 3-point shooting threat, Akron’s chances in the tournament have been altered.
How do I know you?: The Zips now have to rely on the point guard play of freshman Carmelo Betancourt. In three games in an expanded role, Betancourt is averaging 3.6 points, 3.0 assists and 3.0 rebounds.
- Alabama’s treatment of former player Daisha Simmons is shameful 0
- Throwback Thursday: Illinois and Arizona spar in a phenomenal 2005 Elite 8 game 0
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 1
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- NCAA twitter account effortlessly trolls MLB during playoff opener (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)