Mar 16, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here
Conference: Mid-American Conference
Coach: Keith Dambrot
Rankings and Ratings:
– Kenpom: 60
– RPI: 49
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Southern as a No. 13 seed playing Syracuse in the second round in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Zeke Marshall (13.1 ppg, 7.0, 3.7 bpg), Demetrius Treadwell (11.3 ppg, 7.9 ppg)
Stats you need to know: 13. Akron has qualified for the NCAA tournament three times in the last five seasons. In 2009 and 2011, the Zips were topped in their first game by 13 points (Gonzaga in 2009, Notre Dame in 2011). Akron is 0-3 all time in the NCAA tourney.
How’d they get here?: The Zips, who won 19 straight at one point this season, got in with the automatic bid winning the MAC title in a win over Ohio on Saturday in Cleveland. Since its 19-game-winning streak was snapped, Akron was 2-2 entering Saturday’s game.
Outlook: Akron did look like a team capable of an upset, though, that all changed when point guard Alex Abreu was arrested and suspended indefinitely. Now without an experience floor general and the team’s top 3-point shooting threat, Akron’s chances in the tournament have been altered.
How do I know you?: The Zips now have to rely on the point guard play of freshman Carmelo Betancourt. In three games in an expanded role, Betancourt is averaging 3.6 points, 3.0 assists and 3.0 rebounds.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 40
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)