Mar 16, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: America East
Coach: Will Brown
Record: 24-10 (9-7 America East)
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 152
- RPI: 142
- AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen did not have Albany in his brand new bracket projection Sunday. They will likely fall where many small-conference fall, which would be either a 15 or 16 seed.
Names you need to know: Mike Black (15.0 ppg, 3.3 rpg), Sam Rowley (9.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg), Peter Hooley (7.8 ppg, 3.0 apg)
Stats you need to know: The Great Danes surrender just 60.9 points per game, ranking 36th in the country. They rely on that defense because they don’t score many points.
Tendencies: It’s all about pace for Albany. The Great Danes want to slow teams down and grind it out. It’s not always the prettiest brand of basketball, but it won them 24 games this season. With fewer possessions, Albany will need to limit its turnovers if it wants a chance in the NCAA tournament.
Big wins, bad losses: Albany beat Washington, Wagner, and Stony Brook. It lost to Quinnipiac and Maine.
How’d they get here?: Albany won the America East title Saturday by beating Vermont, 53-49.
Outlook: It’s always difficult for a 15- or 16-seed to win in the NCAA tournament, especially when the team relies so heavily on controlling the pace. Against bigger, more athletic teams, they’ll likely have trouble.
How do I know you?: The Great Danes went on the road to Washington early in the season and upset the Huskies on a last-second layup by Mike Black. Albany last won the America East tournament in 2007 and has made two NCAA tournament appearances under coach Will Brown.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UCLA’s Kyle Anderson and Zach LaVine made official their decisions to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
After considering leaving school to enter the NBA Draft, Purdue’s A.J. Hammons will return for his junior season.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Three years after shortening the time players have to make a decision regarding the NBA, it’s time for the NCAA to re-adopt the NBA’s pre-draft calendar.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
The Arizona State transfer is headed to Rice.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The Dukes have landed the for Massachusetts Player of the Year.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There may not be a recruit with a more interesting back story that Devonta Pollard.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Do you like them?
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Getting Kansas State to the NCAA tournament earned Bruce Weber an extension.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Jim Christian wins his first recruiting battle as the head coach at BC.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
What Early Entry decisions will have the biggest impact on the 2014-2015 college basketball season?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT
The next big thing to come from Canada isn’t going to be all that big.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)