Mar 16, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: Conference USA
Coach: Josh Pastner
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 38
- RPI: 15
- AP/USA Today: 20/17
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Memphis as a No. 9 seed in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Joe Jackson (13.4 ppg, 4.8 apg), Adonis Thomas (11.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg), Chris Crawford (10.3 ppg, 3.2 apg)
Stats you need to know: One. That’s how many losses the Tigers have since December 15th. And it was was two point loss at Xavier. I know, I know. Look at who they played. It’s not overwhelming. But a 24-1 record is a 24-1 record.
Tendencies: The biggest tendency for the Tigers? Head-scratching plays. They have all the talent in the world, but their decision-making leaves something to be desired.
Big wins, bad losses: The reason that Memphis needed to win the automatic bid to feel safe? Their best win this season is beating Southern Miss. Three times.
How’d they get here?: The Tigers ran through Conference USA again, going undefeated in league play and winning the conference tournament.
Outlook: Memphis has all the talent in the world, the problem is that you never know when they are going to make a play or take a shot that just doesn’t make any sense. They have enough talent to get to the Sweet 16, but the problem is that they look to be headed to an 8-9 game. Can the Tigers upset a No. 1 seed if they get out of the opening round?
How do I know you?: The Tigers will be one of the headliners in whatever the old Big East is going to be called next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 8
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)