Mar 16, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: Conference USA
Coach: Josh Pastner
Rankings and Ratings:
– Kenpom: 38
– RPI: 15
– AP/USA Today: 20/17
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Memphis as a No. 9 seed in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Joe Jackson (13.4 ppg, 4.8 apg), Adonis Thomas (11.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg), Chris Crawford (10.3 ppg, 3.2 apg)
Stats you need to know: One. That’s how many losses the Tigers have since December 15th. And it was was two point loss at Xavier. I know, I know. Look at who they played. It’s not overwhelming. But a 24-1 record is a 24-1 record.
Tendencies: The biggest tendency for the Tigers? Head-scratching plays. They have all the talent in the world, but their decision-making leaves something to be desired.
Big wins, bad losses: The reason that Memphis needed to win the automatic bid to feel safe? Their best win this season is beating Southern Miss. Three times.
How’d they get here?: The Tigers ran through Conference USA again, going undefeated in league play and winning the conference tournament.
Outlook: Memphis has all the talent in the world, the problem is that you never know when they are going to make a play or take a shot that just doesn’t make any sense. They have enough talent to get to the Sweet 16, but the problem is that they look to be headed to an 8-9 game. Can the Tigers upset a No. 1 seed if they get out of the opening round?
How do I know you?: The Tigers will be one of the headliners in whatever the old Big East is going to be called next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1