Mar 16, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: Conference USA
Coach: Josh Pastner
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 38
– RPI: 15
– AP/USA Today: 20/17
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Memphis as a No. 9 seed in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Joe Jackson (13.4 ppg, 4.8 apg), Adonis Thomas (11.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg), Chris Crawford (10.3 ppg, 3.2 apg)
Stats you need to know: One. That’s how many losses the Tigers have since December 15th. And it was was two point loss at Xavier. I know, I know. Look at who they played. It’s not overwhelming. But a 24-1 record is a 24-1 record.
Tendencies: The biggest tendency for the Tigers? Head-scratching plays. They have all the talent in the world, but their decision-making leaves something to be desired.
Big wins, bad losses: The reason that Memphis needed to win the automatic bid to feel safe? Their best win this season is beating Southern Miss. Three times.
How’d they get here?: The Tigers ran through Conference USA again, going undefeated in league play and winning the conference tournament.
Outlook: Memphis has all the talent in the world, the problem is that you never know when they are going to make a play or take a shot that just doesn’t make any sense. They have enough talent to get to the Sweet 16, but the problem is that they look to be headed to an 8-9 game. Can the Tigers upset a No. 1 seed if they get out of the opening round?
How do I know you?: The Tigers will be one of the headliners in whatever the old Big East is going to be called next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)