Mar 16, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Conference: Southwestern Athletic Conference
Coach: Roman Banks
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 162
- RPI: 49
- AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had Southern as a No. 16 seed playing in one of the First Four in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Malcolm Miller (16.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg), Derrick Beltran(16.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg), Javan Mitchell (9.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg)
Stats you need to know: Scoring defense for Southern is the key. Roman Banks is a discipline coach and under him the Jaguars hold teams to exactly 57 points per game after holding Prairie View A&M to 44 points in the SWAC title game. The Southern scoring defense is good for thirteenth in the nation. In Saturday’s win, Southern held Prairie View A&M’s Jourdan DeMuynck to 15 points after he went for 37 the night before against Jackson State
How’d they get here?: Southern made it to the field of 68 by only needing to win a pair of tournament games in order to clinch the automatic bid. Southern actually finished second in the SWAC, but because of postseason bans, Texas Southern was not in the tournament.
Outlook: Probably not good. Like previously stated, Southern is pegged for a No. 16 seed and even before the Jaguars play one of the four No. 1 seeds, they will likely need to play a game in Dayton at the First Four before.
How do I know you?: Like all No. 16 seeds, it’s been impossible to beat a No. 1 seed thus far. Also, it’s uncertain whether Southern will even get that chance as they are slated to play the MEAC winner in the First Four. However, this is a tremendous turnaround for the Jaguars. Two years after the program’s worst record, 4-26 and Southern is in the big dance.
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)