Mar 16, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here
Conference: Mountain West
Coach: Steve Alford
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 16
- RPI: 2
- AP/USA Today: 15/14
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had New Mexico as a No. 2 seed playing dangerous Iowa State in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Kendall Williams (13.5 ppg, 5.0 apg), Alex Kirk (12.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.8 bpg), Tony Snell (12.4 ppg, 38% from deep)
Stats you need to know: 2. Number of times the Lobos play in-state rivals New Mexico State even though they don’t have to. This year, Alford’s boys won both meetings.
How’d they get here?: The Lobos handled a tough UNLV team 63-56 to claim a hard-fought Mountain West title.
Outlook: With a quality backcourt, Alex Kirk in the blocks, and a good supporting cast, the Lobos can easily make the Elite Eight, if not the Final Four.
How do I know you?: Behind the Big Three of Williams, Snell and Kirk stands 6’9″ Aussie Cameron Bairstow. The 250-lb. junior is capable of getting a double-double every night, and should be a crucial part of any postseason run the Lobos make.
Eric is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)