Mar 16, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here
Conference: Mountain West
Coach: Steve Alford
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 16
– RPI: 2
– AP/USA Today: 15/14
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had New Mexico as a No. 2 seed playing dangerous Iowa State in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Kendall Williams (13.5 ppg, 5.0 apg), Alex Kirk (12.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.8 bpg), Tony Snell (12.4 ppg, 38% from deep)
Stats you need to know: 2. Number of times the Lobos play in-state rivals New Mexico State even though they don’t have to. This year, Alford’s boys won both meetings.
How’d they get here?: The Lobos handled a tough UNLV team 63-56 to claim a hard-fought Mountain West title.
Outlook: With a quality backcourt, Alex Kirk in the blocks, and a good supporting cast, the Lobos can easily make the Elite Eight, if not the Final Four.
How do I know you?: Behind the Big Three of Williams, Snell and Kirk stands 6’9″ Aussie Cameron Bairstow. The 250-lb. junior is capable of getting a double-double every night, and should be a crucial part of any postseason run the Lobos make.
Eric is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)