Mar 16, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here
Conference: Mountain West
Coach: Steve Alford
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 16
– RPI: 2
– AP/USA Today: 15/14
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had New Mexico as a No. 2 seed playing dangerous Iowa State in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Kendall Williams (13.5 ppg, 5.0 apg), Alex Kirk (12.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.8 bpg), Tony Snell (12.4 ppg, 38% from deep)
Stats you need to know: 2. Number of times the Lobos play in-state rivals New Mexico State even though they don’t have to. This year, Alford’s boys won both meetings.
How’d they get here?: The Lobos handled a tough UNLV team 63-56 to claim a hard-fought Mountain West title.
Outlook: With a quality backcourt, Alex Kirk in the blocks, and a good supporting cast, the Lobos can easily make the Elite Eight, if not the Final Four.
How do I know you?: Behind the Big Three of Williams, Snell and Kirk stands 6’9″ Aussie Cameron Bairstow. The 250-lb. junior is capable of getting a double-double every night, and should be a crucial part of any postseason run the Lobos make.
Eric is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Throwback Thursday: Illinois and Arizona spar in a phenomenal 2005 Elite 8 game 0
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- NCAA twitter account effortlessly trolls MLB during playoff opener (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)