Mar 16, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here
Conference: Mountain West
Coach: Steve Alford
Rankings and Ratings:
– Kenpom: 16
– RPI: 2
– AP/USA Today: 15/14
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had New Mexico as a No. 2 seed playing dangerous Iowa State in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Kendall Williams (13.5 ppg, 5.0 apg), Alex Kirk (12.1 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.8 bpg), Tony Snell (12.4 ppg, 38% from deep)
Stats you need to know: 2. Number of times the Lobos play in-state rivals New Mexico State even though they don’t have to. This year, Alford’s boys won both meetings.
How’d they get here?: The Lobos handled a tough UNLV team 63-56 to claim a hard-fought Mountain West title.
Outlook: With a quality backcourt, Alex Kirk in the blocks, and a good supporting cast, the Lobos can easily make the Elite Eight, if not the Final Four.
How do I know you?: Behind the Big Three of Williams, Snell and Kirk stands 6’9″ Aussie Cameron Bairstow. The 250-lb. junior is capable of getting a double-double every night, and should be a crucial part of any postseason run the Lobos make.
Eric is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)