Mar 16, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
With 4:37 left in the game and UCLA in the midst of a run that cut a double-digit Arizona deficit to just two points, Sean Miller was given a technical foul for what appeared to be an argument over a call.
Jordan Adams went to the line and hit both of the free throws.
Arizona eventually lost by two.
Turned into a pretty important technical foul, no? “I told my team that’s all completely on me,” Miller said after the game. “If you’re the coach and you get a technical in this type of situation under four minutes, that’s unacceptable. He hit both free throws, hence the difference in the game.”
So what did Miller say to get lit up? “He touched the ball.” And based on his press conference after the game, Miller was upset about the call, to say the least:
So he didn’t curse, all he did was say (yell emphatically?) “he touched the ball” over and over again? Was there more to the story? Well, according to Ben Howland, both coaches were warned before the game to stay in the coaching box. Did that play a role?
“So much of what happened is you’re in March, and everyone’s being super-evaluated,” Miller said. “The coaching box, the bench standing up. Everyone’s really, really tight because there’s so much at stake, and it’s just difficult, man, when you invest hundreds of hours — in Solomon’s case, thousands of hours. If I cuss, if I’m out of control and I’ve been warned, shame on me. But when I say he touched the ball? Becuase, quite frankly, I thought two of them could have maybe got together and explained that he did touch the ball, that’s what I was hoping for.”
“That technical right there’s hard to swallow. When you lose by two and you gave them two and you’re the coach, you have to take the burden, and I’ve got that with me.”
So what has he learned from this going forward?
“Stay in the coaching box.”
And it doesn’t seem like Miller was joking.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)