Mar 16, 2013, 8:30 AM EST
With 4:37 left in the game and UCLA in the midst of a run that cut a double-digit Arizona deficit to just two points, Sean Miller was given a technical foul for what appeared to be an argument over a call.
Jordan Adams went to the line and hit both of the free throws.
Arizona eventually lost by two.
Turned into a pretty important technical foul, no? “I told my team that’s all completely on me,” Miller said after the game. “If you’re the coach and you get a technical in this type of situation under four minutes, that’s unacceptable. He hit both free throws, hence the difference in the game.”
So what did Miller say to get lit up? “He touched the ball.” And based on his press conference after the game, Miller was upset about the call, to say the least:
So he didn’t curse, all he did was say (yell emphatically?) “he touched the ball” over and over again? Was there more to the story? Well, according to Ben Howland, both coaches were warned before the game to stay in the coaching box. Did that play a role?
“So much of what happened is you’re in March, and everyone’s being super-evaluated,” Miller said. “The coaching box, the bench standing up. Everyone’s really, really tight because there’s so much at stake, and it’s just difficult, man, when you invest hundreds of hours — in Solomon’s case, thousands of hours. If I cuss, if I’m out of control and I’ve been warned, shame on me. But when I say he touched the ball? Becuase, quite frankly, I thought two of them could have maybe got together and explained that he did touch the ball, that’s what I was hoping for.”
“That technical right there’s hard to swallow. When you lose by two and you gave them two and you’re the coach, you have to take the burden, and I’ve got that with me.”
So what has he learned from this going forward?
“Stay in the coaching box.”
And it doesn’t seem like Miller was joking.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 0
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)