Mar 16, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
With 4:37 left in the game and UCLA in the midst of a run that cut a double-digit Arizona deficit to just two points, Sean Miller was given a technical foul for what appeared to be an argument over a call.
Jordan Adams went to the line and hit both of the free throws.
Arizona eventually lost by two.
Turned into a pretty important technical foul, no? “I told my team that’s all completely on me,” Miller said after the game. “If you’re the coach and you get a technical in this type of situation under four minutes, that’s unacceptable. He hit both free throws, hence the difference in the game.”
So what did Miller say to get lit up? “He touched the ball.” And based on his press conference after the game, Miller was upset about the call, to say the least:
So he didn’t curse, all he did was say (yell emphatically?) “he touched the ball” over and over again? Was there more to the story? Well, according to Ben Howland, both coaches were warned before the game to stay in the coaching box. Did that play a role?
“So much of what happened is you’re in March, and everyone’s being super-evaluated,” Miller said. “The coaching box, the bench standing up. Everyone’s really, really tight because there’s so much at stake, and it’s just difficult, man, when you invest hundreds of hours — in Solomon’s case, thousands of hours. If I cuss, if I’m out of control and I’ve been warned, shame on me. But when I say he touched the ball? Becuase, quite frankly, I thought two of them could have maybe got together and explained that he did touch the ball, that’s what I was hoping for.”
“That technical right there’s hard to swallow. When you lose by two and you gave them two and you’re the coach, you have to take the burden, and I’ve got that with me.”
So what has he learned from this going forward?
“Stay in the coaching box.”
And it doesn’t seem like Miller was joking.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)