Mar 16, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
With 4:37 left in the game and UCLA in the midst of a run that cut a double-digit Arizona deficit to just two points, Sean Miller was given a technical foul for what appeared to be an argument over a call.
Jordan Adams went to the line and hit both of the free throws.
Arizona eventually lost by two.
Turned into a pretty important technical foul, no? “I told my team that’s all completely on me,” Miller said after the game. “If you’re the coach and you get a technical in this type of situation under four minutes, that’s unacceptable. He hit both free throws, hence the difference in the game.”
So what did Miller say to get lit up? “He touched the ball.” And based on his press conference after the game, Miller was upset about the call, to say the least:
So he didn’t curse, all he did was say (yell emphatically?) “he touched the ball” over and over again? Was there more to the story? Well, according to Ben Howland, both coaches were warned before the game to stay in the coaching box. Did that play a role?
“So much of what happened is you’re in March, and everyone’s being super-evaluated,” Miller said. “The coaching box, the bench standing up. Everyone’s really, really tight because there’s so much at stake, and it’s just difficult, man, when you invest hundreds of hours — in Solomon’s case, thousands of hours. If I cuss, if I’m out of control and I’ve been warned, shame on me. But when I say he touched the ball? Becuase, quite frankly, I thought two of them could have maybe got together and explained that he did touch the ball, that’s what I was hoping for.”
“That technical right there’s hard to swallow. When you lose by two and you gave them two and you’re the coach, you have to take the burden, and I’ve got that with me.”
So what has he learned from this going forward?
“Stay in the coaching box.”
And it doesn’t seem like Miller was joking.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five (2)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- Throwback Thursday: Juan Dixon and company win Maryland’s lone national title (2)
- Former Oklahoma State guard suing university, head coach Travis Ford (2)
- Colorado State finds difficulty scheduling good non-conference games (1)