Mar 17, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Indiana gets the third No. 1 seed, heading to Dayton, OH, to take on the winner of LIU-Brooklyn and James Madison. The Hoosiers missed out on a chance to play in Indianapolis for the regional; they’ll be headed to DC instead.
If Indiana doesn’t become the first No. 1 seed to lose in the opening round, they will take on the winner of the uber-talented and ultra-enigmatic NC State Wolfpack and the Temple Fighting Khalif Wyatts.
Miami, the duel-ACC title winners, earned the No. 2 seed in the east, drawing Pacific in the opening round. Marquette was a No. 3 seed in the east, and they may have the toughest draw of all the top three seeds in the opening round: the Davidson Wildcats. If they win? They get to play either No. 6 seed Butler or No. 11 seed Bucknell. That’s just a brutally tough pod. Which is great for us.
(CLICK HERE: To browse through the rest of our 2013 NCAA Tournament Previews)
Syracuse drew the No. 4 seed in the East, and they drew a tough Montana squad in the opening round. The Grizzlies have a really, really good back court, but if Mathias Ward — Montana’s leading scorer — is still injured, they aren’t the same team.
The most head-scratching decision in the East Region? No. 5 seed UNLV will be playing No. 12 Cal, who they already matched up with this season, in what ends up being essentially a home game for the Bears in San Jose.
As there is in every region, the coin-flip game will be No. 7 Illinois and No. 10 Colorado. Both the Illini and the Buffaloes are “Box o’ Chocolate” teams: you never know what you’re gonna get.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)