Mar 17, 2013, 8:03 PM EST
Don’t do it.
Don’t even try.
Because I really don’t want to hear it.
There were no bubble snubs this season. Not a single one. Not Kentucky. Not Tennessee. Not Alabama or Maryland or Virginia or UMass.
That’s not to say that there isn’t a valid argument to make for any of those six teams over one or more of the last four teams into the field — Boise State, La Salle, St. Mary’s and Middle Tennessee State. Because there is.
Maryland has two wins over Duke. Virginia beat Duke and won at Wisconsin. Kentucky and Tennessee both have wins over Florida and played well late in the season. There are plenty of top 100 wins and solid RPIs and tough non-conference schedules to throw into that conversation as well. There’s a reason that so many of the nation’s bracketologists had a different perspective on who got in and why they did in the hours before the bracket was announced.
At the end of the day, the difference between these teams was so miniscule that it simply came down to the negatives.
Virginia went 0-3 against the CAA, including a loss to Old Dominion, and picked up some ugly losses in ACC play. Maryland didn’t do a thing in the non-conference portion of their schedule and went 8-10 in a weak ACC. Kentucky’s best wins were over Missouri and Florida at home, which sandwiched losses at Georgia and Arkansas and came before a loss to Vanderbilt in the SEC tournament. Alabama lost to Mercer, Dayton, Tulane and Auburn.
Every single one of those teams had the chance to keep themselves off of the bubble. Every single one of them had a chance to play their way into the tournament during the championship week. They didn’t do it.
So go ahead. Argue away. Explain to me why your favorite team was on the wrong side of the cutline. And I’ll simply point out the repeated losses to teams outside the RPI top 100. Or the non-conference schedule that included half the SWAC and three middle school JV teams. Or the early exit during championship week.
I have a tough time feeling pity for teams that get left out of the dance when they don’t schedule anyone and lose games a good team wins over and over again.
You wanna make the tournament?
Don’t get beat at Boston College.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)