Mar 17, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
We now know for a fact that there will be a new champion in college basketball.
The Kentucky Wildcats, who won it all last season, are among the teams on the outside looking in after the 68-team field was announced on Sunday evening.
Despite going 12-6 in SEC play the Wildcats found themselves on the outside looking in, with the torn ACL suffered by center Nerlens Noel being one of the factors that led to their being left out of the field.
With just three RPI Top 50 victories, two of which came in Lexington, and a record of 4-4 since Noel went down in a loss at Florida the odds were stacked against John Calipari’s team following their SEC tournament loss to Vanderbilt on Friday night.
But even before Noel’s injury the season was a struggle for the Wildcats, given their youth and the fact that this group lacked the stabilizing veterans that the 2012 team possessed. A season filled with peaks and valleys ends up where few expected it to before the season began: outside of the NCAA tournament.
Kentucky becomes the second defending champion in the last four years to miss the NCAA tournament the following season, as North Carolina missed the field in 2010 after the 2009 team cut down the nets in Detroit.
With the nation’s best recruiting class due to arrive on campus in a few months optimism will once again reign among the Kentucky faithful, and with players such as the Harrison twins on board the perimeter play will be much improved. And to be frank the Wildcats aren’t done recruiting either, as both Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon remain on the board.
Many entered the season believing that Kentucky would be a lock to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, and it can be argued that some of that belief may have seeped down into the players.
But nothing is guaranteed, and the young Wildcats received a painful reminder of this on Selection Sunday.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)