Mar 17, 2013, 2:06 AM EST
Read through the rest of the Cheat Sheets here.
Coach: Marvin Menzies
Record: 24-10, 14-4
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 83
– RPI: 58
– AP/USA Today: N/A
Seeding?: Our Dave Ommen had New Mexico State as a No. 13 seed in Saturday’s bracket projection.
Names you need to know: Daniel Mullings (14.0 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2.2 spg), Bandja Sy (11.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg), Tyrone Watson (10.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 3.0 apg)
Stats you need to know: 7-foot-5, 360 pounds. That’s how big Sim Bhullar is. That’s this guy:
Tendencies: NMSU doesn’t have much in the way of perimeter shooters and they don’t execute all that well offensively, but they have size and athleticism. They can get to the offensive glass, they can get to the rim off the bounce, and they can get to the foul line.
Big wins, bad losses: NMSU has a couple of good wins over Denver and Southern Miss, but they’ve also lost to the likes of UT-Arlington and Niagara.
How’d they get here?: The Aggies won the WAC’s automatic bid, but they didn’t have to beat either Denver or Louisiana Tech in the process.
Outlook: I have a tough time seeing New Mexico State being a team that can win a game. They don’t have great guard play, winning games because they’re bigger, stronger and more physical than the teams they play in the WAC. What happens when they go up against a team that can match up with them?
How do I know you?: The Aggies have earned the WAC’s automatic bid for the fourth time in the past seven years.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (10)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)