Mar 17, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
Good on you, Ole Miss.
Don’t leave it up to the Selection Committee. Go out and earn your bid to the tournament. Save your head coach’s job. The Rebels did just that, coming back from 12 down at the half to knock off Florida, 66-63, in the SEC title game on Saturday afternoon.
And with the win, Ole Miss puts an end to one of the most intriguing story lines heading into Selection Sunday. Ole Miss wasn’t going to change their bubble status with a loss to Florida. They didn’t move themselves past other teams on the cut line with a win over Vanderbilt. After beating Missouri, Ole Miss had essentially handed their profile over to the committee. It was either win and get in, or lose and hope that they had done enough to set themselves apart from the likes of Tennessee, Middle Tennessee State and St. Mary’s.
The Rebels also made things just that much tougher for teams waiting to see if their names will be called during the Selection Show.
Our Dave Ommen had Ole Miss in before today. Others didn’t. There was still hope for some bubblers that something about the Rebels’ profile — those two sub-200 losses, the lack of quality wins, etc. — would turn the committee off enough to get their team a bid.
That hope is gone, meaning that one fewer team near the bubble’s cut-line will be dancing.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)