Mar 17, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Good on you, Ole Miss.
Don’t leave it up to the Selection Committee. Go out and earn your bid to the tournament. Save your head coach’s job. The Rebels did just that, coming back from 12 down at the half to knock off Florida, 66-63, in the SEC title game on Saturday afternoon.
And with the win, Ole Miss puts an end to one of the most intriguing story lines heading into Selection Sunday. Ole Miss wasn’t going to change their bubble status with a loss to Florida. They didn’t move themselves past other teams on the cut line with a win over Vanderbilt. After beating Missouri, Ole Miss had essentially handed their profile over to the committee. It was either win and get in, or lose and hope that they had done enough to set themselves apart from the likes of Tennessee, Middle Tennessee State and St. Mary’s.
The Rebels also made things just that much tougher for teams waiting to see if their names will be called during the Selection Show.
Our Dave Ommen had Ole Miss in before today. Others didn’t. There was still hope for some bubblers that something about the Rebels’ profile — those two sub-200 losses, the lack of quality wins, etc. — would turn the committee off enough to get their team a bid.
That hope is gone, meaning that one fewer team near the bubble’s cut-line will be dancing.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Bryce Alford is UCLA’s top returning scorer.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine will be in contention for Big Ten Player of the Year this season.
Sep 1, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated as the sixth-best player in 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:33 PM EDT
Duke gets another five-star recruit.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
UConn landed its second four-star recruit in the Class of 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The GW senior finished with 19 points.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jayce Johnson is focusing on five schools as he’s set four official visits.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Georgetown has some very intriguing games on the non-conference slate.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Arkansas won’t be getting a boost from the four-star big man.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt bolsters its backcourt with the late addition of a junior college guard.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Conference realignment is still happening at the lower levels as Coastal Carolina makes a move to the Sun Belt.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Shamorie Ponds is one of the best bucket-getting guards in the 2016 class.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated No. 6 overall in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
It’s the second commit in as many nights for the Cyclones.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Javion Ogunyemi averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in 2014-15.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The two teams last met in the 2013 Big East Tournament
Aug 31, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Indiana dismissed the forward after his second alcohol-related incident.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo is still waiting to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will make his college decision on Tuesday.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Rawle Alkins is one of the best players to come out of New York in years.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)