Mar 17, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
One of the coolest things that the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee does is provide us with the entire seed list that they use for filling out the bracket.
What is the seed list, you ask?
Exactly what it sounds like: a ranking, from No. 1 to No. 68, of every single team in the NCAA tournament. This is what the committee uses instead of an S-Curve. It takes hours upon hours upon days to come up with this final list, but when they do, this is what is used to seed the teams. Nos. 1-4 are the 1-seeds. Nos. 5-8 are the 2-seeds, etc.
The only place it gets a little bit tricky is when you run into the bracketing rules. Teams from the same conference can’t play each other before the Elite 8. Regular season rematches are frowned upon. Previous tournament matchups are less than ideal. That’s how some of these teams end up seeing their seeds differ from where they rank here.
Before I get to the list, a couple of interesting notes:
- La Salle and Middle Tennessee State (at Nos. 49 and 50) were the last two at-larges in the field.
- Ole Miss (No. 47) was only ranked above two at-large teams, so it stands to reason that they may have missed the tournament if they hadn’t earned the automatic bid.
- All the complaining about Oregon and Cal being No. 12 seeds is incorrect. They were ranked No. 41 and No. 42, meaning they would have been 11 seeds if it weren’t for bracketing rules that got in the way.
So without further ado, here is the 2013 NCAA Tournament Official Seed List:
- Miami (FL)
- Ohio State
- New Mexico
- Michigan St.
- Kansas St.
- Saint Louis
- Oklahoma St.
- San Diego St.
- Notre Dame
- North Carolina
- Colorado St.
- North Carolina St.
- Wichita St.
- Iowa St.
- Boise St.
- St. Mary’s (CA)
- Ole Miss
- La Salle
- Middle Tenn. State
- New Mexico St.
- South Dakota St.
- Northwestern St.
- Albany (NY)
- Western Ky.
- Southern U.
- LIU Brooklyn
- James Madison
- N.C. A&T
Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Memphis was 2-2 in Canada.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Ray Kasongo was denied admission from Oregon on July 30, reopening his recruitment.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This new court design is interesting to say the least.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Take a look at what tournaments the Shockers will appear in over the next few years.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Jimmy Whitt is ranked just outside the top 50 in the Class of 2015.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman averaged 17.5 points, 11.5 boards and 2.2 blocks per game in four games at the Nike Global Challenge.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Nicholls State may have a large, orange-clad fan base these days.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
It’s how they played through their six games in the Bahamas.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaka Smart brings in a perfect piece and that was a priority recruit.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It looks like everyone had a great time.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Jason Holmes is a pro athlete in a sport he never heard of.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Will these ever end?
Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Christian James is one of the better dunkers in the 2015 class.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A former Vanderbilt player is hoping to release a book discussing the dirtier side of college basketball.
Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Ohio State has some interesting games in the non-conference slate.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery defended some of his player’s recent offseason troubles.
Aug 18, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Some more disturbing allegations are levied against a 2014 NCAA Tournament team.
Aug 18, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
This week’s CBT Recruiting Roundup features some thoughts on Noah Dickerson to Florida and a couple of 2015 guards cutting school lists.
Aug 18, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
The two programs haven’t played on one another’s home court in two decades.
Aug 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Nebraska has added a player in the Class of 2017 and a top 50 recruit from 2012 in the span of a few hours.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)