Mar 17, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
One of the coolest things that the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee does is provide us with the entire seed list that they use for filling out the bracket.
What is the seed list, you ask?
Exactly what it sounds like: a ranking, from No. 1 to No. 68, of every single team in the NCAA tournament. This is what the committee uses instead of an S-Curve. It takes hours upon hours upon days to come up with this final list, but when they do, this is what is used to seed the teams. Nos. 1-4 are the 1-seeds. Nos. 5-8 are the 2-seeds, etc.
The only place it gets a little bit tricky is when you run into the bracketing rules. Teams from the same conference can’t play each other before the Elite 8. Regular season rematches are frowned upon. Previous tournament matchups are less than ideal. That’s how some of these teams end up seeing their seeds differ from where they rank here.
Before I get to the list, a couple of interesting notes:
- La Salle and Middle Tennessee State (at Nos. 49 and 50) were the last two at-larges in the field.
- Ole Miss (No. 47) was only ranked above two at-large teams, so it stands to reason that they may have missed the tournament if they hadn’t earned the automatic bid.
- All the complaining about Oregon and Cal being No. 12 seeds is incorrect. They were ranked No. 41 and No. 42, meaning they would have been 11 seeds if it weren’t for bracketing rules that got in the way.
So without further ado, here is the 2013 NCAA Tournament Official Seed List:
- Miami (FL)
- Ohio State
- New Mexico
- Michigan St.
- Kansas St.
- Saint Louis
- Oklahoma St.
- San Diego St.
- Notre Dame
- North Carolina
- Colorado St.
- North Carolina St.
- Wichita St.
- Iowa St.
- Boise St.
- St. Mary’s (CA)
- Ole Miss
- La Salle
- Middle Tenn. State
- New Mexico St.
- South Dakota St.
- Northwestern St.
- Albany (NY)
- Western Ky.
- Southern U.
- LIU Brooklyn
- James Madison
- N.C. A&T
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
Sep 17, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Walker is currently suspended from the Texas team.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Lyle was originally committed to Louisville before backing off.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The rush for a good spot to wait for Big Blue Madness tickets is always entertaining.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 1
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)