Mar 17, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
One of the coolest things that the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee does is provide us with the entire seed list that they use for filling out the bracket.
What is the seed list, you ask?
Exactly what it sounds like: a ranking, from No. 1 to No. 68, of every single team in the NCAA tournament. This is what the committee uses instead of an S-Curve. It takes hours upon hours upon days to come up with this final list, but when they do, this is what is used to seed the teams. Nos. 1-4 are the 1-seeds. Nos. 5-8 are the 2-seeds, etc.
The only place it gets a little bit tricky is when you run into the bracketing rules. Teams from the same conference can’t play each other before the Elite 8. Regular season rematches are frowned upon. Previous tournament matchups are less than ideal. That’s how some of these teams end up seeing their seeds differ from where they rank here.
Before I get to the list, a couple of interesting notes:
– La Salle and Middle Tennessee State (at Nos. 49 and 50) were the last two at-larges in the field.
– Ole Miss (No. 47) was only ranked above two at-large teams, so it stands to reason that they may have missed the tournament if they hadn’t earned the automatic bid.
– All the complaining about Oregon and Cal being No. 12 seeds is incorrect. They were ranked No. 41 and No. 42, meaning they would have been 11 seeds if it weren’t for bracketing rules that got in the way.
So without further ado, here is the 2013 NCAA Tournament Official Seed List:
- Miami (FL)
- Ohio State
- New Mexico
- Michigan St.
- Kansas St.
- Saint Louis
- Oklahoma St.
- San Diego St.
- Notre Dame
- North Carolina
- Colorado St.
- North Carolina St.
- Wichita St.
- Iowa St.
- Boise St.
- St. Mary’s (CA)
- Ole Miss
- La Salle
- Middle Tenn. State
- New Mexico St.
- South Dakota St.
- Northwestern St.
- Albany (NY)
- Western Ky.
- Southern U.
- LIU Brooklyn
- James Madison
- N.C. A&T
May 5, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Nevada landed a Southern Illinois transfer at forward.
May 5, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Oklahoma State has added a big man who could help in the rotation if he’s eligible.
May 5, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Old Dominion is gaining a transfer from Illinois
May 5, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Florida looks like they’ll be losing a key member of their 2015 recruiting haul.
May 5, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Nebraska picked up a guard who should help after one season.
May 5, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Tennessee is losing its second front court player of the off season to transfer.
May 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Florida State grabbed an impact shooting guard in 2016.
May 5, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
This isn’t a decision that is going to get made quickly.
May 5, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Of all the changes on the coaching carousel, what are we most interested in seeing?
May 5, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
As it stands, it appears that Texas will not be bringing ‘HAVOC’ to Austin.
May 5, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
Did he really need to say it though?
May 5, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Demetrius Henry is the only player of note leaving the program.
May 5, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
J.D. Collins will be the one to replace John Adams.
May 5, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
This should end up being a solid early season tournament.
May 5, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Theo Pinson should be ready to play by next season.
May 4, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Boise State might have found some production in its backcourt to help replace Derrick Marks.
May 4, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Quinn Cook had plenty of ups and downs at Duke and this senior speech caps it all off.
May 4, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
San Diego State landed a top-100 player in the 2016 class on Monday night.
Report: Former Clemson guard Rod Hall has interest from multiple NFL teams; college football also an option
May 4, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Former Clemson point guard Rod Hall has some decisions to make regarding his future in football.
Four-star Class of 2016 guard Frank Jackson will take a mission trip before playing college basketball
May 4, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Class of 2016 guard Frank Jackson is a unique recruit because of a two-year mission he plans on taking after high school.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)