Mar 17, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
One of the coolest things that the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee does is provide us with the entire seed list that they use for filling out the bracket.
What is the seed list, you ask?
Exactly what it sounds like: a ranking, from No. 1 to No. 68, of every single team in the NCAA tournament. This is what the committee uses instead of an S-Curve. It takes hours upon hours upon days to come up with this final list, but when they do, this is what is used to seed the teams. Nos. 1-4 are the 1-seeds. Nos. 5-8 are the 2-seeds, etc.
The only place it gets a little bit tricky is when you run into the bracketing rules. Teams from the same conference can’t play each other before the Elite 8. Regular season rematches are frowned upon. Previous tournament matchups are less than ideal. That’s how some of these teams end up seeing their seeds differ from where they rank here.
Before I get to the list, a couple of interesting notes:
– La Salle and Middle Tennessee State (at Nos. 49 and 50) were the last two at-larges in the field.
– Ole Miss (No. 47) was only ranked above two at-large teams, so it stands to reason that they may have missed the tournament if they hadn’t earned the automatic bid.
– All the complaining about Oregon and Cal being No. 12 seeds is incorrect. They were ranked No. 41 and No. 42, meaning they would have been 11 seeds if it weren’t for bracketing rules that got in the way.
So without further ado, here is the 2013 NCAA Tournament Official Seed List:
- Miami (FL)
- Ohio State
- New Mexico
- Michigan St.
- Kansas St.
- Saint Louis
- Oklahoma St.
- San Diego St.
- Notre Dame
- North Carolina
- Colorado St.
- North Carolina St.
- Wichita St.
- Iowa St.
- Boise St.
- St. Mary’s (CA)
- Ole Miss
- La Salle
- Middle Tenn. State
- New Mexico St.
- South Dakota St.
- Northwestern St.
- Albany (NY)
- Western Ky.
- Southern U.
- LIU Brooklyn
- James Madison
- N.C. A&T
Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Seventh Woods still has plenty of highlight plays up his sleeve.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Friday was photo day in Lawrence.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The Spartans are now 1-1 on the trip.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s Joey van Zegeren’s first year with the Northwestern program.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Stanford falls to 1-1 on the foreign tour.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
The ex-Oklahoma commit decides to state in-state.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Last week, 24 of the best high school basketball players participated in the 10th annual event.
Aug 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Three of Jordan Bohannon’s older brothers have played Division I college basketball, but he’s the first to pick their father’s alma mater.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
During his first bout with the disease Smith suffered cardiac arrest and lapsed into a coma that lasted for three days.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
The team many expect to be a national title contender has a new court to play on this season.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Crean addressed the recent off-court issues at a school event in Indianapolis.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
And the toss was a solid one as well.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Herard has scheduled official visits to three of the five remaining schools on his list.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 Canadian averaged 9.1 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last season.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Georgetown, Georgia Tech and Saint Joseph’s failed to make the cut for the New Jersey native.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Early favorite Maryland and reigning champion Wisconsin both open league play at home.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Williams’ arraignment on first degree suspicion of forgery charges was postponed until September 2.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Gabriel is a five-star prospect with offers from Kentucky and Duke.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Dambrot is the head coach at Akron.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Westbrook wasn’t a top 25 prospect in high school. He was a top three player in the NBA last year.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)