Mar 17, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
There may not be a coach in the country that consistently has more success in the NCAA tournament than Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and Michigan State’s Tom Izzo.
It’s been 18 years since Coach K missed the NCAA tournament. Izzo’s been in the tournament every year since he took over the Michigan State program, and the Spartans haven’t missed a dance for 16 years. Coach K has four national title in his career, spread out over three different decades, and been to 11 Final Fours in total. Tom Izzo has made it to six Final Fours and won the 2000 national title.
And wouldn’t you know it, but those two coaches could end up playing in this year’s NCAA tournament.
In the Sweet 16. From the AP:
The coaches have gone head-to-head only twice in the NCAA tournament, splitting those games. Both have work to do before there can be a third – and then there would be the potential regional final matchup against Big East champion Louisville (29-5), the No. 1 overall seed.
“You know it is hard to look ahead to any of that. Coach speaking, never do that. But in human speaking, you do that,” said Izzo, 1-6 in his career against Duke.
These two coaches are part of the reason that the Midwest is being talked about as the toughest region in the tournament. You don’t bet against Izzo in the tournament, unless he happens to be playing the team many thought would be a No. 1 seed — and who was the best team in the country before losing Ryan Kelly to a foot injury — in the Sweet 16.
And then what about the other side of the bracket.
Rick Pitino and Louisville are the No. 1 overall seed. They could end up getting St. Louis in the Sweet 16, the same St. Louis team that won both Atlantic 10 titles and has been a trendy pick to make the Final Four for about a month.
It’s not going to be easy to make to out of Indianapolis.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 12
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)