Mar 17, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
There may not be a coach in the country that consistently has more success in the NCAA tournament than Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and Michigan State’s Tom Izzo.
It’s been 18 years since Coach K missed the NCAA tournament. Izzo’s been in the tournament every year since he took over the Michigan State program, and the Spartans haven’t missed a dance for 16 years. Coach K has four national title in his career, spread out over three different decades, and been to 11 Final Fours in total. Tom Izzo has made it to six Final Fours and won the 2000 national title.
And wouldn’t you know it, but those two coaches could end up playing in this year’s NCAA tournament.
In the Sweet 16. From the AP:
The coaches have gone head-to-head only twice in the NCAA tournament, splitting those games. Both have work to do before there can be a third – and then there would be the potential regional final matchup against Big East champion Louisville (29-5), the No. 1 overall seed.
“You know it is hard to look ahead to any of that. Coach speaking, never do that. But in human speaking, you do that,” said Izzo, 1-6 in his career against Duke.
These two coaches are part of the reason that the Midwest is being talked about as the toughest region in the tournament. You don’t bet against Izzo in the tournament, unless he happens to be playing the team many thought would be a No. 1 seed — and who was the best team in the country before losing Ryan Kelly to a foot injury — in the Sweet 16.
And then what about the other side of the bracket.
Rick Pitino and Louisville are the No. 1 overall seed. They could end up getting St. Louis in the Sweet 16, the same St. Louis team that won both Atlantic 10 titles and has been a trendy pick to make the Final Four for about a month.
It’s not going to be easy to make to out of Indianapolis.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)