Mar 17, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
At no time in the history of the ACC has a team that won both the league’s regular season and tournament title been left off of the No. 1 seed line.
Miami won the ACC outright. After knocking off North Carolina 85-77 in the ACC tournament title game, the Hurricanes took home an improbable duel-ACC title.
But will that be enough to get them a No. 1 seed?
Well, I don’t think so. I doubt they will even be the highest-seeded team from the ACC. That honor will go to Duke, who stockpiled some ridiculous wins back in November and December and who lost their first game of the season with a healthy Ryan Kelly on Thursday in the ACC quarterfinals.
The Blue Devils were the best team in the country before Kelly was hurt, and they beat Miami (and home and by three, I know) once Kelly came back.
That means that the Hurricanes are going to have to jump up past one of the other potential No. 1 seeds, a tough thing to do with you look at the losses they have against Florida-Gulf Coast, Indiana State, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.
Do they have a better profile that Louisville? The Cardinals won a share of the Big East regular season title and the Big East tournament title. Do they have a better profile than Indiana, the Big Ten’s outright champions? Can they be seeded higher than Kansas? Or Gonzaga? Or Georgetown? Or New Mexico?
Our Dave Ommen had Louisville, Indiana, Duke and Gonzaga as No. 1 seeds heading into the day.
Do you think that’s still accurate?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)