Mar 17, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
At no time in the history of the ACC has a team that won both the league’s regular season and tournament title been left off of the No. 1 seed line.
Miami won the ACC outright. After knocking off North Carolina 85-77 in the ACC tournament title game, the Hurricanes took home an improbable duel-ACC title.
But will that be enough to get them a No. 1 seed?
Well, I don’t think so. I doubt they will even be the highest-seeded team from the ACC. That honor will go to Duke, who stockpiled some ridiculous wins back in November and December and who lost their first game of the season with a healthy Ryan Kelly on Thursday in the ACC quarterfinals.
The Blue Devils were the best team in the country before Kelly was hurt, and they beat Miami (and home and by three, I know) once Kelly came back.
That means that the Hurricanes are going to have to jump up past one of the other potential No. 1 seeds, a tough thing to do with you look at the losses they have against Florida-Gulf Coast, Indiana State, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.
Do they have a better profile that Louisville? The Cardinals won a share of the Big East regular season title and the Big East tournament title. Do they have a better profile than Indiana, the Big Ten’s outright champions? Can they be seeded higher than Kansas? Or Gonzaga? Or Georgetown? Or New Mexico?
Our Dave Ommen had Louisville, Indiana, Duke and Gonzaga as No. 1 seeds heading into the day.
Do you think that’s still accurate?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)