Mar 17, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
At no time in the history of the ACC has a team that won both the league’s regular season and tournament title been left off of the No. 1 seed line.
Miami won the ACC outright. After knocking off North Carolina 85-77 in the ACC tournament title game, the Hurricanes took home an improbable duel-ACC title.
But will that be enough to get them a No. 1 seed?
Well, I don’t think so. I doubt they will even be the highest-seeded team from the ACC. That honor will go to Duke, who stockpiled some ridiculous wins back in November and December and who lost their first game of the season with a healthy Ryan Kelly on Thursday in the ACC quarterfinals.
The Blue Devils were the best team in the country before Kelly was hurt, and they beat Miami (and home and by three, I know) once Kelly came back.
That means that the Hurricanes are going to have to jump up past one of the other potential No. 1 seeds, a tough thing to do with you look at the losses they have against Florida-Gulf Coast, Indiana State, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.
Do they have a better profile that Louisville? The Cardinals won a share of the Big East regular season title and the Big East tournament title. Do they have a better profile than Indiana, the Big Ten’s outright champions? Can they be seeded higher than Kansas? Or Gonzaga? Or Georgetown? Or New Mexico?
Our Dave Ommen had Louisville, Indiana, Duke and Gonzaga as No. 1 seeds heading into the day.
Do you think that’s still accurate?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Memphis was 2-2 in Canada.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Ray Kasongo was denied admission from Oregon on July 30, reopening his recruitment.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This new court design is interesting to say the least.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Take a look at what tournaments the Shockers will appear in over the next few years.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Jimmy Whitt is ranked just outside the top 50 in the Class of 2015.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman averaged 17.5 points, 11.5 boards and 2.2 blocks per game in four games at the Nike Global Challenge.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Nicholls State may have a large, orange-clad fan base these days.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
It’s how they played through their six games in the Bahamas.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaka Smart brings in a perfect piece and that was a priority recruit.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It looks like everyone had a great time.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Jason Holmes is a pro athlete in a sport he never heard of.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Will these ever end?
Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Christian James is one of the better dunkers in the 2015 class.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A former Vanderbilt player is hoping to release a book discussing the dirtier side of college basketball.
Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Ohio State has some interesting games in the non-conference slate.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery defended some of his player’s recent offseason troubles.
Aug 18, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Some more disturbing allegations are levied against a 2014 NCAA Tournament team.
Aug 18, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
This week’s CBT Recruiting Roundup features some thoughts on Noah Dickerson to Florida and a couple of 2015 guards cutting school lists.
Aug 18, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
The two programs haven’t played on one another’s home court in two decades.
Aug 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Nebraska has added a player in the Class of 2017 and a top 50 recruit from 2012 in the span of a few hours.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)