Mar 18, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
The defending women’s national champion Baylor has been selected as the number one overall seed for the second consecutive year heading into the 2013 NCAA women’s basketball tournament.
The top four teams all make a return trip to their respective seeds, with Connecticut (Bridgeport Region), Notre Dame (Norfolk Region) and Stanford (Spokane Region) following the Lady Bears in the top four spots.
Baylor (32-1) and 2012 National Player of the Year Britney Griner will take on SWAC champion Prairie View A&M (17-14) in the first round, the same match-up as two years ago between the two teams. The tournament begins Saturday.
Stanford is looking to make it’s sixth straight Final Four while Notre Dame is attempting to make its third straight national title game as well.
The most intriguing part of the women’s bracket may be the possibility of a Baylor/Tennessee matchup in the Lady Bears’ region. The Lady Vols are the no. 2 seed in the Oklahoma City Regional. The two teams met in the regional final last season as well.
In the Cardinal’s side of the bracket, a potential matchup with rival California could happen if those two make it to the regional final. The Lady Golden Bears are also a no. 2 seed.
It’s a lot of deja vu in the 2013 tournament. Same overall no. 1 seed, same top four seeds. Even a return two seed. But one has to think Griner and the Lady Bears are poised for their second straight title with Griner in the middle and Kim Mulkey at the helm.
Follow David Harten at @David_Harten
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)