Mar 18, 2013, 1:24 AM EST
On the day that James Madison, making its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1994, learned who it would play and where (LIU Brooklyn in Dayton) the program received some bad news regarding one of its best players.
6-6 senior forward Rayshawn Goins, who scored 14 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the Dukes’ 70-57 win over Northeastern in the CAA tournament title game, was arrested Sunday on charges of obstruction of justice and disorderly conduct.
The news was reported by Mark Selig of the Harrisonburg (Va.) Daily News-Record. According to Selig, Goins was released on his own recognizance on $2,500 unsecured bond. The incident in question was a party on Saturday night that “got out of hand” according to the report.
JMU issued a brief statement on the matter but nothing has been determined in regards to Goins’ status for Wednesday’s game in Dayton.
Goins averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for James Madison, and they’ll need him against a Blackbird team that features Jamal Olasewere inside. Olasewere (18.9 ppg, 8.5 rpg) was named NEC Player of the Year this season, picking up the slack after senior forward Julian Boyd (and last season’s NEC Player of the Year) went down with a torn ACL.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)