Mar 18, 2013, 1:24 AM EST
On the day that James Madison, making its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1994, learned who it would play and where (LIU Brooklyn in Dayton) the program received some bad news regarding one of its best players.
6-6 senior forward Rayshawn Goins, who scored 14 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the Dukes’ 70-57 win over Northeastern in the CAA tournament title game, was arrested Sunday on charges of obstruction of justice and disorderly conduct.
The news was reported by Mark Selig of the Harrisonburg (Va.) Daily News-Record. According to Selig, Goins was released on his own recognizance on $2,500 unsecured bond. The incident in question was a party on Saturday night that “got out of hand” according to the report.
JMU issued a brief statement on the matter but nothing has been determined in regards to Goins’ status for Wednesday’s game in Dayton.
Goins averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for James Madison, and they’ll need him against a Blackbird team that features Jamal Olasewere inside. Olasewere (18.9 ppg, 8.5 rpg) was named NEC Player of the Year this season, picking up the slack after senior forward Julian Boyd (and last season’s NEC Player of the Year) went down with a torn ACL.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)