Mar 18, 2013, 1:24 AM EST
On the day that James Madison, making its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1994, learned who it would play and where (LIU Brooklyn in Dayton) the program received some bad news regarding one of its best players.
6-6 senior forward Rayshawn Goins, who scored 14 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the Dukes’ 70-57 win over Northeastern in the CAA tournament title game, was arrested Sunday on charges of obstruction of justice and disorderly conduct.
The news was reported by Mark Selig of the Harrisonburg (Va.) Daily News-Record. According to Selig, Goins was released on his own recognizance on $2,500 unsecured bond. The incident in question was a party on Saturday night that “got out of hand” according to the report.
JMU issued a brief statement on the matter but nothing has been determined in regards to Goins’ status for Wednesday’s game in Dayton.
Goins averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for James Madison, and they’ll need him against a Blackbird team that features Jamal Olasewere inside. Olasewere (18.9 ppg, 8.5 rpg) was named NEC Player of the Year this season, picking up the slack after senior forward Julian Boyd (and last season’s NEC Player of the Year) went down with a torn ACL.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 6
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 13
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)