Mar 18, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
Following an arrest over the weekend, James Madison will suspend forward Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the Dukes’ opening round game against LIU-Brooklyn on Wednesday.
“In accordance with JMU athletic policy, Coach Matt Brady is suspending Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the NCAA Tournament game on Wednesday night in Dayton,” JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne said in a statement. “After having thoroughly reviewed the details in this case, the athletic administration supports Coach (Matt) Brady’s decision.”
Goins, who averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Colonial Athletic Association tournament champion Dukes, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstruction of justice on Sunday.
The 6-6, 265-pound redshirt senior is the Dukes’ leading scorer and rebounder.
Harrisonburg, Va. police said in a statement that Goins was not immediately arrested following an off-campus party that got out of hand, despite the fact that he was cursing at authorities and encouraging the crowd. After friends escorted Goins out, the situation seemed over, but he was taken into custody later that night.
Sounds like Goins got a little too rowdy, probably due to the Dukes’ recent triumphs. Those who have been to college — well, some of us who are writing, right now — can relate to maybe getting a bit too pumped up about things and having to be calmed down. As for the suspension, I’m not sure I agree with just the first half. He’s the team’s leading scorer and rebounder, as well as a 24-year-old, fifth-year senior who should know better. He’s looked at as a leader and in probably the most inopportune time to slip up, he slipped up.
I’m not blaming Brady for only suspending him for the first half, because I’m sure Goins will be chomping at the bit to get out there in the second 20 minutes and it’ll be painful for him to watch his team play without him to start the game. But if he wasn’t the team’s best player, at least statistically, would it only be a one-half suspension?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)