Mar 18, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
Following an arrest over the weekend, James Madison will suspend forward Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the Dukes’ opening round game against LIU-Brooklyn on Wednesday.
“In accordance with JMU athletic policy, Coach Matt Brady is suspending Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the NCAA Tournament game on Wednesday night in Dayton,” JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne said in a statement. “After having thoroughly reviewed the details in this case, the athletic administration supports Coach (Matt) Brady’s decision.”
Goins, who averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Colonial Athletic Association tournament champion Dukes, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstruction of justice on Sunday.
The 6-6, 265-pound redshirt senior is the Dukes’ leading scorer and rebounder.
Harrisonburg, Va. police said in a statement that Goins was not immediately arrested following an off-campus party that got out of hand, despite the fact that he was cursing at authorities and encouraging the crowd. After friends escorted Goins out, the situation seemed over, but he was taken into custody later that night.
Sounds like Goins got a little too rowdy, probably due to the Dukes’ recent triumphs. Those who have been to college — well, some of us who are writing, right now — can relate to maybe getting a bit too pumped up about things and having to be calmed down. As for the suspension, I’m not sure I agree with just the first half. He’s the team’s leading scorer and rebounder, as well as a 24-year-old, fifth-year senior who should know better. He’s looked at as a leader and in probably the most inopportune time to slip up, he slipped up.
I’m not blaming Brady for only suspending him for the first half, because I’m sure Goins will be chomping at the bit to get out there in the second 20 minutes and it’ll be painful for him to watch his team play without him to start the game. But if he wasn’t the team’s best player, at least statistically, would it only be a one-half suspension?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)