Mar 18, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
Following an arrest over the weekend, James Madison will suspend forward Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the Dukes’ opening round game against LIU-Brooklyn on Wednesday.
“In accordance with JMU athletic policy, Coach Matt Brady is suspending Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the NCAA Tournament game on Wednesday night in Dayton,” JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne said in a statement. “After having thoroughly reviewed the details in this case, the athletic administration supports Coach (Matt) Brady’s decision.”
Goins, who averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Colonial Athletic Association tournament champion Dukes, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstruction of justice on Sunday.
The 6-6, 265-pound redshirt senior is the Dukes’ leading scorer and rebounder.
Harrisonburg, Va. police said in a statement that Goins was not immediately arrested following an off-campus party that got out of hand, despite the fact that he was cursing at authorities and encouraging the crowd. After friends escorted Goins out, the situation seemed over, but he was taken into custody later that night.
Sounds like Goins got a little too rowdy, probably due to the Dukes’ recent triumphs. Those who have been to college — well, some of us who are writing, right now — can relate to maybe getting a bit too pumped up about things and having to be calmed down. As for the suspension, I’m not sure I agree with just the first half. He’s the team’s leading scorer and rebounder, as well as a 24-year-old, fifth-year senior who should know better. He’s looked at as a leader and in probably the most inopportune time to slip up, he slipped up.
I’m not blaming Brady for only suspending him for the first half, because I’m sure Goins will be chomping at the bit to get out there in the second 20 minutes and it’ll be painful for him to watch his team play without him to start the game. But if he wasn’t the team’s best player, at least statistically, would it only be a one-half suspension?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)