Mar 18, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
Following an arrest over the weekend, James Madison will suspend forward Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the Dukes’ opening round game against LIU-Brooklyn on Wednesday.
“In accordance with JMU athletic policy, Coach Matt Brady is suspending Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the NCAA Tournament game on Wednesday night in Dayton,” JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne said in a statement. “After having thoroughly reviewed the details in this case, the athletic administration supports Coach (Matt) Brady’s decision.”
Goins, who averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Colonial Athletic Association tournament champion Dukes, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstruction of justice on Sunday.
The 6-6, 265-pound redshirt senior is the Dukes’ leading scorer and rebounder.
Harrisonburg, Va. police said in a statement that Goins was not immediately arrested following an off-campus party that got out of hand, despite the fact that he was cursing at authorities and encouraging the crowd. After friends escorted Goins out, the situation seemed over, but he was taken into custody later that night.
Sounds like Goins got a little too rowdy, probably due to the Dukes’ recent triumphs. Those who have been to college — well, some of us who are writing, right now — can relate to maybe getting a bit too pumped up about things and having to be calmed down. As for the suspension, I’m not sure I agree with just the first half. He’s the team’s leading scorer and rebounder, as well as a 24-year-old, fifth-year senior who should know better. He’s looked at as a leader and in probably the most inopportune time to slip up, he slipped up.
I’m not blaming Brady for only suspending him for the first half, because I’m sure Goins will be chomping at the bit to get out there in the second 20 minutes and it’ll be painful for him to watch his team play without him to start the game. But if he wasn’t the team’s best player, at least statistically, would it only be a one-half suspension?
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)