Mar 18, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
North Texas forward Tony Mitchell is reportedly declaring for this June’s NBA Draft.
Mitchell, originally a Missouri recruit that had academic issues keep him from enrolling, became eligible for the Mean Green in December of last season. He averaged 14.7 points, 10.3 boards and 3.0 blocks as UNT made it to the Sun Belt title game, but opted to return to school for his sophomore season instead of enter his name into the NBA Draft.
That may have been a mistake, as Mitchell had a disastrous sophomore campaign.
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
His production dropped to 13.0 points, 8.5 boards and 2.7 blocks despite playing more minutes as North Texas turned out to be one of the most disappointing teams in the country. It wasn’t totally his fault — the Mean Green had injury problems all year long and it was obvious that new head coach Tony Benford just didn’t mesh with this team.
But Mitchell’s effort level was more-or-less non-existent throughout the season. He hasn’t developed a post-game. Frankly, in the two games that I saw him play, he just didn’t look like he cared.
He was expected to be a top ten pick heading into the season. Draft Express currently as him going 21st, and that may be a bit high. He’ll get a guaranteed contract simply because his physical tools are just that promising, but he’s become much more of a risk than he was six months ago.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)