Mar 18, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
North Texas forward Tony Mitchell is reportedly declaring for this June’s NBA Draft.
Mitchell, originally a Missouri recruit that had academic issues keep him from enrolling, became eligible for the Mean Green in December of last season. He averaged 14.7 points, 10.3 boards and 3.0 blocks as UNT made it to the Sun Belt title game, but opted to return to school for his sophomore season instead of enter his name into the NBA Draft.
That may have been a mistake, as Mitchell had a disastrous sophomore campaign.
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
His production dropped to 13.0 points, 8.5 boards and 2.7 blocks despite playing more minutes as North Texas turned out to be one of the most disappointing teams in the country. It wasn’t totally his fault — the Mean Green had injury problems all year long and it was obvious that new head coach Tony Benford just didn’t mesh with this team.
But Mitchell’s effort level was more-or-less non-existent throughout the season. He hasn’t developed a post-game. Frankly, in the two games that I saw him play, he just didn’t look like he cared.
He was expected to be a top ten pick heading into the season. Draft Express currently as him going 21st, and that may be a bit high. He’ll get a guaranteed contract simply because his physical tools are just that promising, but he’s become much more of a risk than he was six months ago.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)