Mar 18, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
That’s what sheer joy looks like.
La Salle coach John Giannini and his team crowded into a small room at Tom Gola Arena to watch Sunday’s selection show. It turned out to be worth the wait.
From CSN Philly:
La Salle was one of the last teams to have its named called on Sunday. The Explorers will face Boise State (21-10) in the first round (or, if you prefer the old parlance, a play-in game) of the West Regional on Wednesday in Dayton at 9:10 p.m. The winner will advance as the No. 13 seed to play No. 4 Kansas State in Kansas City on Friday at 3:10 p.m.
When the announcement was made, the players – previously hushed and tense – leapt up and began hugging and jumping and screaming in unison. Their elation was evident, and it was a long time in the making. This will be La Salle’s first NCAA tournament appearance since 1991-92.
“We’re thrilled to be in the NCAA tournament and hear our names called with the best teams in the country,” Giannini said. “We think we deserve to be there. You can’t win unless you’re there … a big step for our program is being part of this very special event, but also being recognized as one of the best teams in the country.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)