Mar 19, 2013, 12:13 AM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Jackson State head coach Tevester Anderson will retire, the university announced last Monday.
The 76-year-old coach spent the past 10 seasons as head coach of the Tigers after five seasons at the helm of Murray State, where he made two trips to the NCAA Tournament. Anderson guided Jackson State to the Big Dance in 2006-07 after claiming the SWAC Tournament title with a 21-14 overall record.
Anderson, who has been around the game long enough to have played at Arkansas-Pine Bluff when it was Arkansas AM&N, also went to the NIT with the Tigers in 2009-10, when the team captured the SWAC regular season title.
He was 149-17o in his decade at Jackson State and 241-204 overall as a collegiate head coach.
The record at Jackson State may not look impressive, but when you consider that teams in conferences like the SWAC play most of their regular season games against power conference teams for the purpose of their athletic budget, finishing with a record like Anderson’s at Jackson State is impressive. He took both teams he coached to the NCAA Tournament, which is definitely an accomplishment. He finished with a losing conference record just once in his career, with a 5-13 mark at Jackson State in 2011-12.
The Tigers finished this season 11-18 and fell to Prairie View A&M in the SWAC Tournament this season. A press conference will be held March 25 to formerly announce Anderson’s retirement.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)