Mar 19, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Twitter has grown into the go-to platform for instant breaking news and updates. Now on the eve of the NCAA tournament, it is about to launch a major innovation in real-time sports highlights. The innovation would allow users to view short clips in near real-time through the handle @marchmadness.
“Instant replay plays to Twitter’s strength of news in real time and on mobile,” says Glenn Brown, director of promoted content and partnerships at Twitter, as reported by USA Today.
A similar concept was used this season during college football bowl season, but will now be adapted for the viral-friendly world of college basketball buzzer beaters and other March Madness happenings. The clips will be supported by advertising from companies like Coke Zero and AT&T.
“This is very significant, since not much video is viewed on Twitter now,” says social media analyst Greg Sterling. “There is an opportunity for them to attract new categories of advertisers, with promoted tweets.”
The replays will debut with Tuesday night’s First Four games in Dayton of NC A&T vs. Liberty and Saint Mary’s vs. Middle Tennessee.
Read the entire piece here.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)