Mar 19, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Twitter has grown into the go-to platform for instant breaking news and updates. Now on the eve of the NCAA tournament, it is about to launch a major innovation in real-time sports highlights. The innovation would allow users to view short clips in near real-time through the handle @marchmadness.
“Instant replay plays to Twitter’s strength of news in real time and on mobile,” says Glenn Brown, director of promoted content and partnerships at Twitter, as reported by USA Today.
A similar concept was used this season during college football bowl season, but will now be adapted for the viral-friendly world of college basketball buzzer beaters and other March Madness happenings. The clips will be supported by advertising from companies like Coke Zero and AT&T.
“This is very significant, since not much video is viewed on Twitter now,” says social media analyst Greg Sterling. “There is an opportunity for them to attract new categories of advertisers, with promoted tweets.”
The replays will debut with Tuesday night’s First Four games in Dayton of NC A&T vs. Liberty and Saint Mary’s vs. Middle Tennessee.
Read the entire piece here.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)