Mar 19, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Twitter has grown into the go-to platform for instant breaking news and updates. Now on the eve of the NCAA tournament, it is about to launch a major innovation in real-time sports highlights. The innovation would allow users to view short clips in near real-time through the handle @marchmadness.
“Instant replay plays to Twitter’s strength of news in real time and on mobile,” says Glenn Brown, director of promoted content and partnerships at Twitter, as reported by USA Today.
A similar concept was used this season during college football bowl season, but will now be adapted for the viral-friendly world of college basketball buzzer beaters and other March Madness happenings. The clips will be supported by advertising from companies like Coke Zero and AT&T.
“This is very significant, since not much video is viewed on Twitter now,” says social media analyst Greg Sterling. “There is an opportunity for them to attract new categories of advertisers, with promoted tweets.”
The replays will debut with Tuesday night’s First Four games in Dayton of NC A&T vs. Liberty and Saint Mary’s vs. Middle Tennessee.
Read the entire piece here.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)