Mar 19, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Twitter has grown into the go-to platform for instant breaking news and updates. Now on the eve of the NCAA tournament, it is about to launch a major innovation in real-time sports highlights. The innovation would allow users to view short clips in near real-time through the handle @marchmadness.
“Instant replay plays to Twitter’s strength of news in real time and on mobile,” says Glenn Brown, director of promoted content and partnerships at Twitter, as reported by USA Today.
A similar concept was used this season during college football bowl season, but will now be adapted for the viral-friendly world of college basketball buzzer beaters and other March Madness happenings. The clips will be supported by advertising from companies like Coke Zero and AT&T.
“This is very significant, since not much video is viewed on Twitter now,” says social media analyst Greg Sterling. “There is an opportunity for them to attract new categories of advertisers, with promoted tweets.”
The replays will debut with Tuesday night’s First Four games in Dayton of NC A&T vs. Liberty and Saint Mary’s vs. Middle Tennessee.
Read the entire piece here.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)