Mar 19, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Twitter has grown into the go-to platform for instant breaking news and updates. Now on the eve of the NCAA tournament, it is about to launch a major innovation in real-time sports highlights. The innovation would allow users to view short clips in near real-time through the handle @marchmadness.
“Instant replay plays to Twitter’s strength of news in real time and on mobile,” says Glenn Brown, director of promoted content and partnerships at Twitter, as reported by USA Today.
A similar concept was used this season during college football bowl season, but will now be adapted for the viral-friendly world of college basketball buzzer beaters and other March Madness happenings. The clips will be supported by advertising from companies like Coke Zero and AT&T.
“This is very significant, since not much video is viewed on Twitter now,” says social media analyst Greg Sterling. “There is an opportunity for them to attract new categories of advertisers, with promoted tweets.”
The replays will debut with Tuesday night’s First Four games in Dayton of NC A&T vs. Liberty and Saint Mary’s vs. Middle Tennessee.
Read the entire piece here.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)