Mar 19, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
Game of the Day: Saint Mary’s vs. Middle Tennessee (9:10 p.m. ET, truTV)
The night cap of the First Four in Dayton features two bubble teams who were both able to fall on the right side of that bubble and into the NCAA tournament on Selection Sunday. For Saint Mary’s, everything starts with guard Matthew Dellavedova, who averaged 15.8 points and 6.4 assists per game this season. He is the engine behind an offense that is Top 25 in the country in scoring and field goal percentage, running through the WCC and if Gonzaga had not been there, likely would have won the conference.
Middle Tennessee was ready to be the mid-major snub, but now rightfully finds itself in the First Four. The Blue Raiders had high-major wins over Ole Miss and Vanderbilt in the non-conference this season, as well as keeping it close to Akron in an overtime loss. There is a good deal of balance to Middle Tennessee’s offense, but it is led by Marcos Knight with 13.5 points per game.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: North Carolina A&T vs. Liberty (6:40 p.m. ET, truTV)
Liberty was able to catch lightning in a bottle in the Big South tournament and turn a bad start to the season into one worthy of an NCAA tournament automatic berth. They meet a North Carolina A&T team that emerged from the dust in the MEAC tournament after No. 1 and No. 2 seeds Norfolk State and North Carolina Central fell in earlier rounds.
This will be a game of contrasting tempos, with Liberty looking to score the basketball more and North Carolina A&T wanting a more defensive game. A&T will have to shoot well from the field if it wants to advance, though, 317th in Division I.
NCAA Tournament First Four
North Carolina A&T vs. Liberty (6:40 p.m. ET, truTV)
Saint Mary’s vs. Middle Tennessee State (9:10 p.m. ET, truTV)
Other Notable Games (NIT)
Maryland vs. Niagara (7:00 p.m, ESPN2)
St. John’s vs. Saint Joseph’s (7:00 PM, ESPNU)
Louisiana Tech vs. Florida State (7:15 PM, ESPN3)
Robert Morris vs. Kentucky (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Norfolk State vs. Virginia (9:00 PM, ESPNU)
Northeastern vs. Alabama (9:00 p.m., ESPN2)
Ohio vs. Denver (9:15 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Washington vs. Brigham Young (9:30 p.m., ESPN)
Stephen F. Austin vs Stanford (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)