Mar 19, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
School presidents representing members of the New Big East will meet with representatives from FOX Sports and Madison Square Garden for an 11 a.m. ET press conference Wednesday in Manhattan to “reveal significant progress in the ongoing development of a multi-sport conference,” the league announced in a release Tuesday.
According to David Woods of the Indianapolis Star, that is where the conference will officially announce the widely reported news that Butler, Xavier, and Creighton will be added to the league. It has also been reported that the conference will announce a partnership with FOX Sports as the league’s primary media rights holder. The network reportedly offered $500 million for the rights as part of a 12-year.
This process has been set in motion since the group dubbed the “Catholic 7,” the Catholic-affiliated and basketball-centric universities formerly of the Big East, announced its desire to break away from the other football schools in the old conference. Speculation has been ongoing for months about the possible additional schools that would join the league.
It is also expected that the New Big East will announce what the release calls “advancements” in regards to the conference and Madison Square Garden, likely pertaining to the venue as a site for the league’s postseason tournament.
If the report proves to be true, the New Big East would include Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Providence, St. John’s, Villanova, Georgetown, and Seton Hall. That would mean that the conference stretches as far west as Omaha, Nebraska and as far east as Providence, R.I. Approximately 1,400 miles lay between those two cities.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Kansas won its debut overseas this summer as Wayne Selden had a big outing.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
UConn landed a quality guard in the Class of 2016.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)