Mar 20, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
We shouldn’t be surprised at all, should we?
“Next year, I’ll be playing for the University of Kentucky,” Julius Randle, one of the nation’s top players in the Class of 2013, said on ESPNU this afternoon. He joins a ridiculous recruiting class that already includes Aaron and Andrew Harrison, James Young, Marcus Lee and Dakari Johnson. Coach Cal may not be done, either; he could still end up getting Andrew Wiggins or Aaron Gordon.
“I love all the schools and all the coaches, the final straw was the system, and I felt the system at Kentucky was a great system,” Randle said. “They have a lot of great players going in there, so you’re going to have to battl.e The teams have been a unit, and I played USA basketball with a lot of great players so I think I’ll adjust well.”
“Getting to battle with those guys in practice will make me better.”
How good will Kentucky be next season? Well, I can definitely say that, right now, they will be in a dogfight with Duke for the title of being the Preseason No. 1 team in the country come October. And that’s before knowing if there will be any more recruits joining the program or if any of this year’s freshmen will return.
Those freshmen hinted at a return after last night’s loss to Robert Morris, a game that could have swayed Randle’s decision. If he had watched.
“I did not watch the Kentucky game last night, I was out to dinner with my family,” Randle said with a smile. “But I heard about it.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 2
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)