Mar 20, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
The Syracuse University men’s basketball team is under investigation by the NCAA for “major and wide-ranging” violations, part of an investigation that has been going on for “years,” Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com is reporting.
According to the report, the NCAA’s investigation into possible violations of the drug policy has grown larger in scope, but is not related to the alleged sexual abuse case against former assistant Bernie Fine. Syracuse has acknowledged an NCAA investigation previously and the Fine case has already been dismissed by federal authorities.
It should be noted that the suspension of Syracuse forward James Southerland earlier this season was a result of the NCAA looking into the men’s basketball program. Perhaps the most striking quote in Dodd’s report is from a source with knowledge of the investigation:
“Throw a dart at the [NCAA] Manual [and you would hit a violation by Syracuse].”
The report quotes a source in saying that Syracuse has received a letter of preliminary inquiry from the NCAA and the process will proceed from there.
Syracuse lost to Louisville in the Big East tournament championship game after giving up a 13-point halftime lead and being outscored, 56-26, in the second half. The Orange return to the floor Thursday against Montana in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament.
Find more here from Syracuse.com.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)