Mar 21, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
Mark Lyons led four scorers in double figures with 23 points as No. 6 seed Arizona knocked off No. 11 Belmont 81-64.
Kerron Johnson and Ian Clark combined for 43 points, but the Bruins dug themselves a massive hole early in the game with their inability to get a defensive rebound — or, for that matter, make a shot — in the first half.
For the third consecutive season, Belmont entered the tournament as a trendy upset pick. And for the third consecutive season, the Bruins were sent home on the wrong end of a tail-whipping.
The biggest issue here is that the Bruins simply looked outclassed. Clark and Johnson are both terrific. They are mid-major all-american caliber guards, and Clark is good enough that he’s drawn some looks from NBA scouts. But Belmont simply didn’t have the size or the athleticism to handle Arizona, a team chock full of top 25 recruits and big men with NBA potential.
Arizona moves on to play the winner of No. 3 New Mexico and No. 14 Harvard. The Wildcats will be an interesting team to watch if they continue to play the way they did on Thursday. Talent isn’t the issue for Sean Miller’s club; they’ve got plenty of it. It’s point guard play and cohesion offensively.
We’ve seen teams with issues put it all together and make a run to — and through — the second weekend, and Arizona certainly has the talent to do that.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UCLA’s Kyle Anderson and Zach LaVine made official their decisions to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
After considering leaving school to enter the NBA Draft, Purdue’s A.J. Hammons will return for his junior season.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Three years after shortening the time players have to make a decision regarding the NBA, it’s time for the NCAA to re-adopt the NBA’s pre-draft calendar.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
The Arizona State transfer is headed to Rice.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The Dukes have landed the for Massachusetts Player of the Year.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There may not be a recruit with a more interesting back story that Devonta Pollard.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Do you like them?
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Getting Kansas State to the NCAA tournament earned Bruce Weber an extension.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Jim Christian wins his first recruiting battle as the head coach at BC.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
What Early Entry decisions will have the biggest impact on the 2014-2015 college basketball season?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT
The next big thing to come from Canada isn’t going to be all that big.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)