Mar 21, 2013, 9:20 PM EST
It was supposed to be Trey Burke vs. Nate Wolters, but it turned into the Glenn Robinson III and Tim Hardaway Jr. show.
Those two combined for 42 points on 16-21 shooting from the floor and 8-10 from three, leading No. 4 seed Michigan past No. 13 seed South Dakota State 71-56. The Wolverines will advance to take on the winner of No. 5 VCU and No. 12 Akron tonight.
The performance of Michigan’s supporting cast — Mitch McGary also chipped in with 13 points and nine boards — is huge. As good as Burke has been all season long, the Wolverines cannot make a deep run into the tournament without having a second and a third option offensively.
But, frankly, that’s not the story of this game.
The story is the disappointment of every college hoops fan that the matchup of the day turned into an epic bust. Wolters was 3-14 from the floor and finished with just 10 points. Burke was 2-12 from the floor and finished with six points. Quite a performance, guys.
Ironically enough, Wolters may have actually improved his draft stock. The question for him isn’t whether or not he will be able to score at the next level. His issue is on the defensive end; scouts are exactly convinced watching the slow-footed, bigger Wolters on tape defending Summit League point guards.
But he held his own against Burke, at least during the time that Burke was still looking to score. That 2-12 performance from Burke speaks for itself.
At least someone got something out of the most-hyped matchup of the day.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Nov 22, 2014, 6:17 PM EST
Boutte’s shot came seconds after he corralled a wayward pass from teammate Marcellus Barksdale.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:43 PM EST
Eustachy led the Rams to a school-record 26 wins in 2012-13.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Meeks accounted for two double-doubles all season in 2013-14. He’s now matched that total through three games.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Providence jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead and cruised to an easy win over Florida State.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Notre Dame guards Demetrius Jackson and Jerian Grant played well to help lead the Irish to victory.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
The 2015 CBE Classic will have a local flavor.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Ball State will be without a key piece for the immediate future.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Florida will be without a key guard for at least a few games.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
More depth is coming for the Aggies.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
A solid Saturday slate features multiple ranked teams in action.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A tremendous story continues to get better as Lauren Hill surprised teammates and fans by checking into her second college basketball game and scoring again on Friday night.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Cornell shouldn’t have given D.J. Newbill a chance.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Here is everything you need to know from Friday night hoops.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Florida nearly coughed up another win on Friday.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Like the rest of the 2011 recruiting class, Jonathan Holmes could have left Texas. Instead he made the decision to stay, and he and the Longhorns are better because of it.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:17 PM EST
Justin Anderson led all scorers with 18.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
Syracuse is in this position because Tyler Ennis turned out to be better than anyone expected.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Isaiah Taylor injured his left wrist on a hard fall with just over two minutes remaining in Texas’ win over Iowa Thursday night.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EST
The Mountaineers and Huskies will meet on Sunday.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
Kansas hosts Rider on Monday night.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)