Mar 21, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
It was supposed to be Trey Burke vs. Nate Wolters, but it turned into the Glenn Robinson III and Tim Hardaway Jr. show.
Those two combined for 42 points on 16-21 shooting from the floor and 8-10 from three, leading No. 4 seed Michigan past No. 13 seed South Dakota State 71-56. The Wolverines will advance to take on the winner of No. 5 VCU and No. 12 Akron tonight.
The performance of Michigan’s supporting cast — Mitch McGary also chipped in with 13 points and nine boards — is huge. As good as Burke has been all season long, the Wolverines cannot make a deep run into the tournament without having a second and a third option offensively.
But, frankly, that’s not the story of this game.
The story is the disappointment of every college hoops fan that the matchup of the day turned into an epic bust. Wolters was 3-14 from the floor and finished with just 10 points. Burke was 2-12 from the floor and finished with six points. Quite a performance, guys.
Ironically enough, Wolters may have actually improved his draft stock. The question for him isn’t whether or not he will be able to score at the next level. His issue is on the defensive end; scouts are exactly convinced watching the slow-footed, bigger Wolters on tape defending Summit League point guards.
But he held his own against Burke, at least during the time that Burke was still looking to score. That 2-12 performance from Burke speaks for itself.
At least someone got something out of the most-hyped matchup of the day.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
May 24, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Arizona State’s “Curtain of Distraction” made an appearance as well.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (24)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)