Mar 21, 2013, 8:59 PM EDT
Despite the suspension of starting point guard Alex Abreu a couple weeks ago the Akron Zips won the MAC regular season and tournament titles, earning their second NCAA tournament trip in the last three seasons.
Unfortunately for Keith Dambrot his Zips won’t be at full strength tonight against 5-seed VCU, as two players are dealing with the flu and another with back spasms as reported by Rachel Nichols of Turner Sports.
The symptoms for two of the players, guard Brian Walsh and center Pat Forsythe, were described by Nichols as being “severe.” Freshman guard Deji Ibitayo is battling back spasms that flared up after practice on Wednesday, and may not be able to play.
Walsh is the lone starter of the three but given VCU’s use of full-court pressure having two guards at less than full strength is the last thing Akron needs entering the contest.
VCU forces an average of 19.9 turnovers per game, and in Akron’s two MAC tournament games last weekend the Zips averaged 15.5 turnovers per game. That’s nearly two turnovers per game higher than their average for the entire season (13.6).
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)