Mar 21, 2013, 8:59 PM EST
Despite the suspension of starting point guard Alex Abreu a couple weeks ago the Akron Zips won the MAC regular season and tournament titles, earning their second NCAA tournament trip in the last three seasons.
Unfortunately for Keith Dambrot his Zips won’t be at full strength tonight against 5-seed VCU, as two players are dealing with the flu and another with back spasms as reported by Rachel Nichols of Turner Sports.
The symptoms for two of the players, guard Brian Walsh and center Pat Forsythe, were described by Nichols as being “severe.” Freshman guard Deji Ibitayo is battling back spasms that flared up after practice on Wednesday, and may not be able to play.
Walsh is the lone starter of the three but given VCU’s use of full-court pressure having two guards at less than full strength is the last thing Akron needs entering the contest.
VCU forces an average of 19.9 turnovers per game, and in Akron’s two MAC tournament games last weekend the Zips averaged 15.5 turnovers per game. That’s nearly two turnovers per game higher than their average for the entire season (13.6).
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)