Mar 21, 2013, 8:59 PM EDT
Despite the suspension of starting point guard Alex Abreu a couple weeks ago the Akron Zips won the MAC regular season and tournament titles, earning their second NCAA tournament trip in the last three seasons.
Unfortunately for Keith Dambrot his Zips won’t be at full strength tonight against 5-seed VCU, as two players are dealing with the flu and another with back spasms as reported by Rachel Nichols of Turner Sports.
The symptoms for two of the players, guard Brian Walsh and center Pat Forsythe, were described by Nichols as being “severe.” Freshman guard Deji Ibitayo is battling back spasms that flared up after practice on Wednesday, and may not be able to play.
Walsh is the lone starter of the three but given VCU’s use of full-court pressure having two guards at less than full strength is the last thing Akron needs entering the contest.
VCU forces an average of 19.9 turnovers per game, and in Akron’s two MAC tournament games last weekend the Zips averaged 15.5 turnovers per game. That’s nearly two turnovers per game higher than their average for the entire season (13.6).
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)