Mar 21, 2013, 8:59 PM EST
Despite the suspension of starting point guard Alex Abreu a couple weeks ago the Akron Zips won the MAC regular season and tournament titles, earning their second NCAA tournament trip in the last three seasons.
Unfortunately for Keith Dambrot his Zips won’t be at full strength tonight against 5-seed VCU, as two players are dealing with the flu and another with back spasms as reported by Rachel Nichols of Turner Sports.
The symptoms for two of the players, guard Brian Walsh and center Pat Forsythe, were described by Nichols as being “severe.” Freshman guard Deji Ibitayo is battling back spasms that flared up after practice on Wednesday, and may not be able to play.
Walsh is the lone starter of the three but given VCU’s use of full-court pressure having two guards at less than full strength is the last thing Akron needs entering the contest.
VCU forces an average of 19.9 turnovers per game, and in Akron’s two MAC tournament games last weekend the Zips averaged 15.5 turnovers per game. That’s nearly two turnovers per game higher than their average for the entire season (13.6).
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 5
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)