Mar 21, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Saint Louis came into this 2013 NCAA tournament as a trendy underdog pick to make the Final Four after winning the Atlantic 10 championship this past weekend. The Billikens took their first step toward that goal Thursday with a 64-44 win over New Mexico State in the Round of 64 at The Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills, Mich.
Dwayne Evans, fresh off winning the Most Outstanding Player award in the A-10 tournament, led Saint Louis with 24 points and six rebounds. Evans was the centerpiece of a Saint Louis gameplan that didn’t change and likely will not change for the remainder of this tournament. The Billikens thrive on defense at one end of the floor and efficiency at the other.
Saint Louis turned the ball over just 10 times, credit going first and foremost to point guards Kwamain Mitchell and Jordair Jett. Those two combined for 12 assists and four total turnovers. Their ability to facilitate is why Evans and sharpshooter Cody Ellis are able to get involved. Ellis finished with 12 points.
Saint Louis now moves on to face the winner of Oklahoma State vs. Oregon, which tips off in San Jose at 4:40 p.m. ET.
Oklahoma State is favored, but regardless of who advances to meet Saint Louis, the focus will be on the backcourts. Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart is a physical and productive freshman guard who is one of the biggest reasons why the Cowboys are where they are right now. Dominic Artis’ injury hurt Oregon during conference play when he was forced to sit on the bench.
Whoever advances will have their hands full against a veteran Saint Louis backcourt in the Round of 32.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)