Mar 21, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Gregg Marshall stood and addressed his Wichita State team today, making reference to a legendary Shocker as he attempted to pump them up for their NCAA tournament game against Pitt. He told the black-and-gold clad group that Antoine Carr had contacted him earlier that same day and told him that his team should “play angry”.
The Shockers did that, with Carl Hall (11 points, 6 rebounds) channeling the Big Dog, and Cleanthony Early (21 points, 7 rebounds) as a milder version of Xavier McDaniel in a 73-55 rout of the departing Big East power. The more mobile Wichita State big men went over, under, around and through behemoth Panther Steven Adams (13 points, 11 rebounds) on the way to a “second round” win over Jamie Dixon’s tough club.
As good as the Wichita State big men were, the best indicator that the Shockers may be ready to advance deeper into this tournament came from the perimeter. Not only did Oregon transfer Malcolm Armstead (22 points, 5 assists, 3 steals) run the team efficiently, he was also the game’s leading scorer, hitting on a variety of drives and jump shots. In addition, Armstead and backcourt mates Tekele Cotton, Demetric Williams and Ron Baker harassed Pitt’s star guard Tray Woodall into a miserable performance: Two points, one assist, five turnovers and a very early exit on five fouls.
Looking ahead, the Shockers are likely to have a much tougher time with No. 1 seed Gonzaga (making the relatively safe assumption that the Zags will get past 16-seed Southern), a team that fields mobile and experienced big men in Kelly Olynyk and Elias Harris. The perimeter defense will be vulnerable to slicing and dicing by Gary Bell and sharpshooting Kevin Pangos.
The Bulldogs will have the personnel advantage in the round of 32, but Gregg Marshall’s Big Dogs will never be an easy out, as long as they continue to “play angry.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)