Mar 21, 2013, 7:55 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: 7:15 p.m. – South Dakota State (13) vs. Michigan (4) – CBS
I’m not sure if South Dakota State has the horses to run with Michigan for 40 minutes, but what I’m sure of is that regardless of how long they hang around, the Jackrabbits are going to keep things interesting. By now, you should have heard the name Nate Wolters before. Wolters is the point guard for SDSU, and while his style of play is quite different than that of Trey Burke, the way that he is used and is productivity is quite similar.
Both the Wolverines and the Jackrabbits spread the floor with shooters, putting the ball in the hands of their point guards, allowing them to create. Neither plays much defense, and both can put up points in a hurry. This should be fun. And hopefully it will come down to the final possession.
Three more games you cannot miss:
- 1:40 p.m. – Wichita State (9) vs. Pittsburgh (8) – TBS: This won’t be a pretty basketball game, but these are two big, physical teams that can grind it out with the best of them. It may look like a rugby match, but it’ll be close.
- 2:45 p.m. – Saint Mary’s (11) vs. Memphis (6) – CBS: They might play the same position, but I’m not sure there are two point guards that more different than Joe Jackson and Matthew Dellavedova. They’ll be going head-to-head as Josh Pastner tries to win his first career NCAA tournament game.
- 7:20 p.m. – Belmont (11) vs. Arizona (6) – TNT: Belmont is legit. They have arguably the best back court in their region with Kerron Johnson and Ian Clark. Can Mark Lyons and company be enough to slow them down?
WHO’S GETTING UPSET: 3:10 p.m. – Davidson (14) vs. Marquette (3) – tru TV
I picked this one in my bracket. Davidson is a veteran team that’s been together for a while. This is the same team that went into Kansas City last season and knocked off a Kansas team that went to the national title game. They can play with the big boys. Davidson’s two best players are De’Mon Brooks and Jake Cohen, two forwards that will be tough for either Chris Otule or Davante Gardner to matchup with.
WHO’S NOT GETTING UPSET: 12:40 p.m. – Bucknell (11) vs. Butler (6) – Tru TV
I just don’t see this one. Bucknell’s star is Mike Muscala, but Butler not only has the best game-planner in the country this side of Tom Izzo in Brad Stevens, but they also have a 6-foot-11 center named Andrew Smith that’s just as big and even more physical than Muscala. I don’t see the Bulldogs losing this one.
BEST INDIVIDUAL MATCHUP: 9:57 p.m. – Montana (13) vs. Syracuse (4) – Tru TV
The best individual matchup is Trey Burke and Nate Wolters, but since we already talked about that, I’ll go with Will Cherry and Kareem Jamar squaring off against Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche. A lot of people have picked Montana to pull the upset, and it will take a big game from the Grizzlies back court to make that happen.
EXPLOITABLE MATCHUP: 9:20 p.m. – Missouri (9) vs. Colorado State (8) – TBS
It works both ways here. Colorado State has been lit up by scoring points guards of late, and Missouri has a kid by the name of Phil Pressey. I don’t know if you heard of him. But Missouri’s front line has had their issues rebounding the ball and handling big, physical opponents. Colorado State is as big and as physical as anyone in the country. This will be interesting to watch play out.
12:15 p.m. – Valparaiso (14) vs. Michigan State (3) – CBS
12:40 p.m. – Bucknell (11) vs. Butler (6) – Tru TV
1:40 p.m. – Wichita State (9) vs. Pittsburgh (8)- TBS
2:10 p.m. – New Mexico State (13) vs. Saint Louis (4) – TNT
2:45 p.m. – Saint Mary’s (11) vs. Memphis (6) – CBS
3:10 p.m. – Davidson (14) vs. Marquette (3) – tru TV
4:10 p.m. – Southern (16) vs. Gonzaga (1) – TBS
4:40 p.m. – Oregon (12) vs. Oklahoma State (5) – TNT
6:50 p.m. – North Carolina A&T (16) vs. Louisville (1) – TBS
7:15 p.m. – South Dakota State (13) vs. Michigan (4) – CBS
7:20 p.m. – Belmont (11) vs. Arizona (6) – TNT
7:27 p.m. – California (12) vs. UNLV (5) – Tru TV
9:20 p.m. – Missouri (9) vs. Colorado State (8) – TBS
9:45 p.m. – Akron (12) vs. VCU (5) – CBS
9:50 p.m. – Harvard (14) vs. New Mexico (3) – TNT
9:57 p.m. – Montana (13) vs. Syracuse (4) – Tru TV
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)