Mar 22, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
In seven seasons at Furman head coach Jeff Jackson managed to eclipse the 20-win plateau just once, winning 22 games in 2010-11. After flirting with the .500 mark last season (15-16) the Paladins went 7-24 (3-15 SoCon) this season, ultimately leading to Jackson stepping down Friday as reported by multiple outlets.
Jackson, who also coached three seasons at New Hampshire (1996-99), leaves the school with an overall record of 85 wins and 131 losses.
“We respect Coach Jackson’s decision to resign and pursue other career opportunities, whether in coaching or other areas,” said athletic director Dr. Gary Clark in a statement released by the school. “We appreciate the manner in which he has represented Furman University and Furman athletics.
“He has recruited quality young men who have performed in the classroom and represented Furman with class on the basketball court. We wish Coach Jackson all the best in his future endeavors.”
Of Furman’s top four scorers just one, 6-9 forward Colin Reddick (12.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg), is a senior but obviously in coaching changes there’s no guarantee that the entire roster will return to play for the new head coach.
According to scout.com the Paladins don’t have any verbal commitments (or early signees) in the 2013 recruiting class. Bob Richey has been named interim head coach by the school, with assistants David Wilson and Shammond Williams remaining as his assistants.
“I would like to take this time to thank everyone in the Furman community for the support they showed our program, especially Dr. Clark and President Smolla,” said Jackson in the statement.
“I am very grateful for the opportunity I was given to coach at Furman.”
Photo credit: Furman University Athletics
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)