Mar 22, 2013, 1:23 AM EDT
And you thought VCU’s 88-42 win over Akron was the worst beatdown of the day?
I guess you went to bed before No. 4 seed Syracuse played No. 13 seed Montana.
The Orange beat Montana 81-34. Seriously.
Montana shot 11-54 from the floor for the game. That’s 20.4%. They were 4-31 from three, which is good for 12.9%. All told, Montana made 19 shots — 11 field goals and eight free throws — and committed 17 turnovers.
Their leading scorer? Well, there were four guys that managed to score five points. Three players happened to make two fields goals. I would go on, but the point here isn’t to embarrass Montana.
Because they are a better basketball team than they showed tonight. But man, that was one heck of an off-night, wasn’t it?
The Orange will advance to take on No. 12 seed California, who dispatched No. 5 UNLV on Thursday, in a game that will be played in San Jose, more or less a home game for the Bears. My guess is that Cal will play a bit better than Montana did on Thursday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 1
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)