Mar 22, 2013, 1:23 AM EST
And you thought VCU’s 88-42 win over Akron was the worst beatdown of the day?
I guess you went to bed before No. 4 seed Syracuse played No. 13 seed Montana.
The Orange beat Montana 81-34. Seriously.
Montana shot 11-54 from the floor for the game. That’s 20.4%. They were 4-31 from three, which is good for 12.9%. All told, Montana made 19 shots — 11 field goals and eight free throws — and committed 17 turnovers.
Their leading scorer? Well, there were four guys that managed to score five points. Three players happened to make two fields goals. I would go on, but the point here isn’t to embarrass Montana.
Because they are a better basketball team than they showed tonight. But man, that was one heck of an off-night, wasn’t it?
The Orange will advance to take on No. 12 seed California, who dispatched No. 5 UNLV on Thursday, in a game that will be played in San Jose, more or less a home game for the Bears. My guess is that Cal will play a bit better than Montana did on Thursday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 0
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 3
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 6
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)