Mar 22, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
I feel bad for Akron, because when they were at 100%, this was a good basketball team.
But they were anything but 100% heading into the NCAA tournament, as starting point guard Alex Abreu was arrested and suspended and three key pieces were either sick or injured heading into Thursday night’s opening round game.
Oh, and they got the honor of facing VCU and Shaka Smart’s Havoc defense.
You can probably guess the result: No. 5 VCU 88, No. 12 Akron 42.
Here’s the ironic part: Shaka Smart and Akron head coach Keith Dambrot are very good friends. Dambrot gave Smart his first Division I coaching job. How close are they? During VCU’s Atlantic 10 tournament run, Dambrot was photographed wearing this:
No, Keith. You don’t. Especially when you’re missing half of your rotation.
VCU will advance to take on No. 5 Michigan in one of the most intriguing matchups of the round of 32. Havoc vs. Trey Burke. The nation’s most turnover-centric defense vs. the nation’s most turnover-averse offense.
Giddy up!This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)