Mar 22, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
I feel bad for Akron, because when they were at 100%, this was a good basketball team.
But they were anything but 100% heading into the NCAA tournament, as starting point guard Alex Abreu was arrested and suspended and three key pieces were either sick or injured heading into Thursday night’s opening round game.
Oh, and they got the honor of facing VCU and Shaka Smart’s Havoc defense.
You can probably guess the result: No. 5 VCU 88, No. 12 Akron 42.
Here’s the ironic part: Shaka Smart and Akron head coach Keith Dambrot are very good friends. Dambrot gave Smart his first Division I coaching job. How close are they? During VCU’s Atlantic 10 tournament run, Dambrot was photographed wearing this:
No, Keith. You don’t. Especially when you’re missing half of your rotation.
VCU will advance to take on No. 5 Michigan in one of the most intriguing matchups of the round of 32. Havoc vs. Trey Burke. The nation’s most turnover-centric defense vs. the nation’s most turnover-averse offense.
Giddy up!This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)