Mar 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
If you follow college basketball actively, you probably know they got here by winning the Atlantic Sun tournament championship over Mercer. You may also know that they beat Miami earlier in the season when the Hurricanes were without Durand Scott. You probably also know that the Eagles feature Atlantic Sun Player of the Year Sherwood Brown.
But what about the institution itself and the program’s coach, Andy Enfield?
Florida Gulf Coast sits on 760 acres of land in Fort Myers, Fla., and was founded in 1991. It has 11,279 undergraduate students, including some who beat No. 2 Georgetown Friday night. The school offers 52 undergraduate degree programs and 30 graduate degree programs and has a few notable alumni, despite only being just over 20 years old.
Among them is Courtney Jolly, a former beauty queen who went on to drive monster trucks. Find out more about her here. Alumni also include Florida state representative Matt Caldwell, who has served in that capacity since 2010. He is the chair of the state’s Agriculture & Natural Resources Subcommittee. On the athletics front, Chicago Cubs pitcher Casey Coleman played for the school’s baseball team before being drafted in the 15th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball draft.
When it comes to the basketball program, coach Andy Enfield is in his second season as head coach and leads this team to the NCAA tournament Round of 32 in just the second season that the program has been eligible for it in Division I. He took over in 2011 as just the program’s second-ever coach. Last season, he led the Eagles to the Atlantic Sun championship game in its first year of eligibility for the postseason.
Prior to coming to Florida Gulf Coast, Enfield was an assistant at Florida State and also worked as an assistant in the NBA with the Boston Celtics and Milwaukee Bucks.
Florida Gulf Coast now moves on to play San Diego State, which beat Oklahoma in the Philadelphia night cap Friday.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 0
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)