Mar 22, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Before the 2012-13 season began many expected Saint Joseph’s at the very least to be one of the Philadelphia schools playing in the NCAA tournament. But thanks to inconsistent play and various personnel issues Phil Martelli’s team failed to live up to the expectations, ending their season with a loss to St. John’s in the first round of the Postseason NIT.
And it hasn’t taken long for one player to determine that he’s ready to leave Hawk Hill, as 6-9 junior forward C.J. Aiken will reportedly pursue professional opportunities.
In 31 games this season Aiken averaged 10.4 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game, shooting 49.6% from the field.
“After lengthy meetings with C.J. Aiken and his family, C.J. has decided to pursue a career in professional basketball,” coach Phil Martelli said in a statement. “There will always be a place in my heart for C.J. I wish him well in all his future endeavors.”
Aiken is ranked 66th among NCAA juniors according to DraftExpress.com, and there’s a great deal of work to be done when it comes to his strength in the paint on both ends of the floor.
In regards to next season Saint Joseph’s is expected to return Ronald Roberts Jr. and Halil Kancevic, with both being seniors in 2013-14. Aiken’s departure opens the door for rising junior Papa Ndao, who averaged just 6.9 minutes per game this season, to possibly earn more playing time.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)